winter is approaching.

Winter is approaching , which means you can?t grow fresh herbs and vegetables in your outdoor garden. Even your houseplants may suffer from inadequate sunlight. The solution is the LED Grow Light with Super Harvest Colors. By using energy efficient LED lamps, this grow light is the eco-friendly and low-cost way to successfully grow plants indoors.

Reply to
Ritacidly

Oriented to northern hemisphere cool-temperate climate as usual. Amazing as it may seem there actually are humans who live in the tropics/subtropics or the southern hemisphere who garden. This advice is as faulty as all the other over generalisations that do not take into account climate and season.

David Hare-Scott

Given that the posting was nothing but blatant SPAM, one is expected to make allowances.

Reply to
John McGaw

Now your tide of sunshines begins to wane, as our begins to wax. I hope we all enjoy the ride ;O)

12:30 a.m. EST, and we are off.
Reply to
Billy

don't be so serious , you can just look it as a note and you can do what you like and maybe you can suggest your special point of planting !

[image:
samsam

Billy wrote: ...

safe journeys.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Of course, it's blatant spam.

As for growing stuff indoors, last Christmas one of the kids got us one of those pricey indoor type units and it was a pita to constantly attend to and probably used way more electricity than any herbs were worth.

Reply to
Frank

How many different fresh herbs does one actually use regularly (maybe

2-3) and what quantity (a small bunch)? Nowadays most stupidmarkets sell quite an array of fresh herbs for cheap, and stored correctly in the fridge they'll keep well three weeks and longer. And anyway dried herbs are actually better for cooking than fresh... but rehydrate them in *cold* water before use... same as one does dehy mushrooms. Dehy mushrooms have more/concentrated flavor and so do dehy herbs. Most folks waste their dehy herbs by just dumping them into the hot cooking pot, especially if it's an acetic dish containing tomato. There are also many dehy vegetables that are better than fresh for cooking too... how many times did you need bell pepper for soup and either had none or the ones you had long ago melted to mush... with dehy peppers you will always have a supply. Dehy onions are excellent too, available diced, sliced, even toasted (much better than that salty onion soup). And nowadays many fruits and vegetable are available freeze dried... didya know that 90% of the US strawberry crop is freeze dried. Unless one enjoys the challenge there is no reason whatsoever to grow herbs indoors, and if I want a house plant I can think of dozens before I'd plant a pot of parsely.
Reply to
Brooklyn1

This is not a good generalisation as there are too many exceptions. Several common herbs (eg parsley, mint, coriander) are pretty well useless when dried and do not reconstitute to anything better. The volatile aromatics compounds that they lose when drying are gone and don't come back with the addition of water. There are some that are good when dried (tarragon, oregano, sage) but the character is different, some might say better.

but rehydrate them

Which ones are better in your view? In what way?

Dehy

The proportion of essential oils (flavour agents) can be higher in dried herbs because during drying much more water is lost than oil. However some oils are lost which can change the character with drying, in some cases so much to make them much less attractive. The comparison with mushrooms is inapplicable as the flavour agents in them are a quite different class of compounds that are not nearly so volatile as in herbs.

Most

What will go wrong if I add dried oregano to hot tomato sauce that would not go wrong if I soaked it in cold water before adding?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

*********** low-cost way to successfully grow plants indoors.********** Really?!

What are you goin' on about now, Frank? We all know that you can do the cranky ol' man thing, Frank. Nobody would disagree! But to not be irrelevant, it might help to know brand, price, watts. And one of the wonderful things about growing herbs is that you can us as much as you want, without some one bitching at you. Well, at least most of us can. Just try to have cool Yule, Frank. Chill. You can then comeback to 2012 refresh, and be ready to "piss and moan" with the best. Maybe you just need a cold-one and a game to watch. On the other hand you could clean your garage, and maybe ingest some of those chemicals that you love so much.

Reply to
Billy

Maybe use the water for cooking the pasta? Never thought of that before. Didn't harvest any tarragone this year. I was slow, and Fall and the snails did them in.

Reply to
Billy

Winter is approaching

Reply to