arrghh

My herb plants are doing horribly. I started an indoor herb garden about a month ago. And my oregeno and Thyme are doing badly. I think the oregeno is gone. The thyme could be saved. I am not sure... The baby plants I have seem to be doing well. The basil, parsley, margerom and chives as is my sage...but the other too. Well the less said the better. How to help them. I must admit I have no idea which way our window is facing, but I have plant bulb and I mist them daily. I think I am doing every thing right. I would love for the fresh herbs to work, but I am not sure how. Any suggestions or any suggestions of websites or books I should read?

Reply to
sbicknell4

First it will help to understand that these are not plants which are ideally suited to growth indoors - light conditions, temperatures and humidity levels in most homes are just not suited for the growth of plants which would be happiest outside. And you are growing a mix of herbs which require different growing conditions - sage, oregano, marjoram and thyme are subshrubs suited to a Mediterranean climate - lean, very well draining soil and hot, dry summer conditions and cool, slightly damp winters. Parsley and basil are annuals/biennials that appreciate regular water and hot sunny growing conditions. None of these conditions are likely to be met very successfully on a windowsill.

For best success, all these plants need considerable light. Allow the Mediterranean herbs to dry out slightly before watering and avoid misting. Keep these plants somewhat cool. You may fare better with the parsley and basil - these will appreciate warmer temps common to most homes but these should not be allowed to dry out. Keep evenly moist. IME, chives will grow anywhere and under most conditions, however they are prone to aphid infestations if grown in very rich soil. If these plants survive, I'd recommend planting them after winter in a container outdoors that is convenient for harvesting or if hardy for your zone, in the ground.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal