herbs plant

Hi,

I want to grow herbs plant in my garden but would like some info on which herbs

should I grow? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
dael22

You Can Grow the Herb Rosemary because Rosemary is one of those wonderful herbs that makes a beautiful ornamental plant as well as a welcome culinary seasoning. Its Latin name, Rosmarinus officinalis, means "dew of the sea" and rosemary is most closely associated with the cooking of the Mediterranean area. However you don't need perfect sunshine, sea mist or even a never ending summer to successfully grow rosemary. In fact, more rosemary plants suffer from too much attention than from too little.

Reply to
Robert78

Google is your friend.

Reply to
Larry's prostate

Look at

need to purchase . Their catalogue is PDF for 2008. Lots of info.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Most herbs will grow well in adverse conditions and some seem to thrive on neglect. I grow rue, thyme, rosemary, lavender, mint, parsley, garlic, chives, oregano and sage. The parsley survives one winter. The garlic, chives and parsley appreciate small amounts of organic (fish emulsion, rotted cow manure, leaf mold, etc) fertilizers. The oregano and mint are somewhat invasive. Borage and basil grow one summer. Growing herbs in pots is another option. Full sun gives you the most options. Too much water, poor drainage, excessive fertilizer can be bad.

Reply to
Phisherman

Where are you? What is your climate.

I saw rosemary recommended in another response. In front of my house, my rosemary bush is taller than I am. In the Royal Botanical Garden (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada), it must be grown under glass.

I grow peppermint, but I must water it regularly. In some areas that get summer rain, it's a weed that needs no care.

As with real estate, location is everything when gardening.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Well, let's start with what herbs do you use? A look in the cupboard would be an indicator. Mediterranean herbs seem to like fairly poor, dry soils with full sun. I think these would do well in pots. Basil, in my experience, does best in pots. I like to grow parsley because I use it in small amounts and never use up a bunch that I purchase at the store. So, determine the herbs that you now use. Google or ask a gardening expert (academic or, local nursery) if they will grow in your area and when to plant them. Each plant has its' own little universe of needs. The better you meet their needs, the better they will grow for you. Learn about them. Google "gardening, growing [herb's name]".

Bon appétit

Reply to
Billy