Battery Life

I have a large torch which contains 4 1.5 V batteries and when the torch light faded and went out I checked the voltage in the 4 batteries and they all read 1,4 V It would appear that a drop of 0.1 V in each battery brings their life to an end. Is this correct? Blair

Reply to
bm

No. I have a so-called battery tester which makes the same mistake. What matters is not so much the voltage, as that will be adequate even when the battery is almost dead, but the capacity to deliver current, which depends on the chemical energy remaining to be converted (strictly, the rate at which conversion can be maintained).

The two are related it's true, but the '> I have a large torch which contains 4 1.5 V batteries and when the torch

Please always reply to news group as the email address in this post's header does not exist. Alternatively, use one of the contact addresses at:

Java Jive

Many thanks for your very clear explanation. I now understand! When I checked the amps the old battery read 1.2 but the new ones read 4.5 Thanks again Blair

Reply to
bm