EDF Freeeeze & NPower

Had a flyer with the post this morning from EDF pushing their new Blue + Price Freeeeze Mar 2017 tariff. No real information at all on the flyer like the standing charge or per unit cost. Wander off to website can't find it their either. Ask for a quote, offers a different tariff but no saving, the Freeeeze tariff is also list but still no real price information. More digging eventually find a .pdf with the actual pricing information. WTF do marketing make it so sodding hard to get real pricing information?

Up shot is for the NW region they want 14.44p/kWHr and £65.70/year standing charge. Not competitive overall against the current NPower (15.06p/kWHr £36.50/year £45.00/year DD discount, variable) or iSupply Energy (11.143p/kWHr, £76.48/year, fixed 'till May 14). OK that EDF 14.44 is frozen 'till Mar 17 (41 months) but if normal prices don't catch up for a year you still need an equal rise the next year to make up the "loss", leaving just a year to make a "saving". Greatly simplified and gross assumptions.

I'm already with EDF for E7 fixed 'till Feb 15 @ 16.08p/kWHr day,

6.02p/kWHr night. The Freeeeze prices are 18.2/6.82. So for about half the Freeeeze period I would pay about £430 more at our usage. Just to break even the normal price half way through would have to be over 20.32p/kWHr or a 26% rise in 16 months...

The NPower tarrif is about to change to 14.95p/kWHr no standing charge no DD discount. Which is less than the last tariff I had for Ebico Equipower at 15.67p/kWHr, Equipower was the only tariff I knew of that truly had no standing charge, excellent for low users.

(all prices ex VAT and for NW region).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think you know the answer to that one.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

[...]

Charles F

With a daytime tariff like that you could save loads if you had some solar PV.

My daytime tariff is 12.4p inc vat and I don't use much at night.

Reply to
dennis

That is E7, our average annual use is 9 kWHr/day at day rates and 39 kWHr/day at night rates(*). Winter will see the night rate use rise to not far short of 60 kWHr/day. Solar PV is f*ck all use at night...

A few months back I could have got 12.157/6.232 E7 fixed Sep 14 but with 80/year standing charge against 65.70. On our usage the overall difference was 24p/month but with a 6 month shorter fixed period.

The Normal tariffs I have are 15.06 low use and low standing charge and DD discount (soon to lose the standing charge and DD discount and fall in price to 14.95) or 11.143 with 76.48 standing charge (15 units/day).

The standing charges and DD discounts seem to be the new battle ground between tariffs. Another normal tarrif I could have got a few months back was 10.82 kWHr but a whopping £155.13/year standing charge, £40 DD discount. Crap for low use. "Low use being" >29 units/day to even start matching the 11.143+76.48 no DD discount tariff. To make a £1/month saving in the bill you'd have to use at least 43 kWHr/day!

(*) The time switch is fubar, "night rate" is currently about 2045 to

0415.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Hence it is known as daylight robbery.

Reply to
bert

my night rate runs from 1:30am to 8:30am it will go back an hour when the c locks change. I wonder why there are differnt times for 'night' I could understand it if the country crossed a time zone but...

Reply to
whisky-dave

I read on another forum that Pioneer energy 2 year fix was good value. Went to the site and you have to enrol before you can get any information. Email them to ask them what their rates are, no reply. If a company can't be up front about their rates, I can't be bothered.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

As I said the time switch is fubar. It's a mechnical one and stops when there is no incoming power. We are due a couple more maintenace periods in a week or two by the time they are over I expect our "night" rate period will be nearer 1400 - 2130.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ISTR they are quite deliberately staggered to make it easier for National Grid and the Generators to manage the load

Reply to
newshound

I enrolled and could see the prices but didn't do a deal. Instead moved from E.ON back to Scottish Power - fixed for 1 year.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson