More EDF bill strangeness

I submitted meter readings a couple of days ago for February gas and electricity use. I got a bill yesterday which I paid. Today another bill appeared with this line:

Charges Electricity 8 May 2023 - 30 May 2023 £52.00

Has anyone else got a very recent bill referring back to May last year? Just thought I'd check before I get back to them and ask why this has suddenly appeared.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Not EDF, but OVO (Née SSE) do something similar, although not in that time-scale. They will send individual bills for three months, then later will send a different bill for the whole period, with different estimated readings, even though I sent readings whenever they asked for them. So far, the revisions have been in my favour, slightly, so I don't complain. It's not as bad as BT used to be, before I left them, as I could not reproduce their bill calculations, they reminded me of the three-card trick.

Reply to
Davey

I've not had that but their systems seem to be a mess since they re-jigged the website recently. I paid them my standing order on 19 February then three days later they reverse charged (credited) over £500 from my last bill (27 November -16 January) and issued a new bill for 27 November - 19 February. On that bill they say they recalculated some (but actually all) charges but don't say why.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

They seem to have form for issueing a bill, and then replacing it with another.

Are you on a fixed term contract?

Reply to
Tim Streater

hTey do that to me, demand reading by $DATE, take estimated readings on $DATE-x, then when they receive my actual readings, they issue an updated bill.

They used to only want readings every 6 months, now they ask every month, but they say they only have to have them every 3 months, so I'm experimenting with not bothering ... see hw long until they get pissed off.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No.

I've emailed them to try to find out what's going on. Fortunately I keep all the bills they send me and I have the one covering 8 - 30 May 2023.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I emailed EDF and they explained that in the bill covering the 8 May -

30 May period, they effectively missed out on charges for those days because they were cancelled due to an estimated read, and the customer read for those days not being included. It does explain the originally puzzling inclusion of an extra 23 days of standing charge which had been included in the £52.00.

It's just a shame they didn't include that explanation on the cover letter for the extra bill, which would have saved me, and them, a lot of time.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Yes, they sent me a 'statement' in January where they had totally recalculated the previous years bills, but on a

*quarterly* basis and decided that I had underpaid by £20.15. This is correct but it was their fault with their initial *monthly* bill last year
Reply to
Andrew

Are you actually paying by monthly DD or quarterly?

The money saving expert site suggests that (typically) the energy price cap is £130 more expensive if you pay by cash, cheque or quarterly Direct Debit compared to paying by monthly DD.

alan_m