External wall insulation systems

Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?

In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding on that.

Reply to
John Rumm

Someone just down the road has had some put in. The builders are never there when I walk past and I want to ask what the fire suppression character of the large foam blocks are, under that light skim of render. Wellat a distance it looked like foam rather than rockwool. Perhaps someone in this thread will know. I imagine birds, mice,rats etc will chew out nice homes for themselves in the foam.

Reply to
N_Cook

FWIW, just had a rough estimate for an 8m x 7m wall, about £11,500, using brick slips to keep the appearance of the original. Apparently one of the big things to think about is extending the overhang of the roof 6" or so.

Reply to
RJH

Not personally. AIUI insurers can be fussy about what the outside cladding is. If it's a timber frame construction they're happier if the cladding is mineral (brick, tile, etc) rather than wood or plastic. If the structural element is brick then I don't think they are so bothered.

Cedral (fibre cement weatherboard) looks interesting as a mineral wood-effect cladding, although it would need some calculation as to how heavy it is (probably heavier than wood)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

What about the overhang of window sills?

Reply to
alan_m

I'm not sure how they do openings - they only mentioned the roof as an issue.

Reply to
RJH

Board them over - much more energy efficient :-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Another observation of this local clad. No obvious keying, like expanded metal, to the surface of the foam panels prior to the thin skim render so presumably liable to spalling from thermal movements or wind cavitation at edges

Reply to
N_Cook

This estate here had this external cladding s done a few years ago tho some houses privately owned either didn't want it done or couldn't afford it. Most that were done were still owned by the local council.

Estate was built around 1952 out of concrete 8 to 10 inch thick panels bolted together..

Places were bloody cold, in the 63 winter a glass of water by your bed would be frozen over!..

tony sayer

The window reveals here have just been thin skim rendered over. No eavesdrop created prior to the cladding so the months worth of rain in the last week must have gone down between the cladding and the original brickwork, clever eh.

Reply to
N_Cook

Yup, I will probably need to do that... there is only 6" to play with at the moment.

Reply to
John Rumm

Like most board insulations, they will burn if held in a flame, but not actually sustain a flame...

I have seen systems with both. The PU / PIR foam or EPS make for an impermeable coating. The Rockwool based ones are breathable.

I get the impression the render is pretty hard when set (although fairly thin).

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup that was one of the options... a bit of searching has turned up Hardi plank and Cembrit plank as other (slightly thinner) options.

You need 1.75 boards per sq m, and each board is 11.2kg, so ~20kg/m^2

Reply to
John Rumm

Interesting... the Cembrit plank appears to now be SwissPearl plank:

Cedral and SwissPearl have free sample ordering. James Hardie is £5.47 for

3:
I notice the SwissPearl is not coloured through, it's painted. So perhaps could be in need of touch up in future years (but much less than wood). Not sure about the others.

Not too bad... Suppose it depends on how well attached your battens are. (if replacing existing timber)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yup might be worth getting some to have a look...

I will probably be starting with a recently de-rendered brick wall[1], so the plan was a rigid PIR/PU foil faced foam board, then 50x38 tanalised battens on 600 centres on top of that. Planks fitted to the battens. So it should be fairly sturdy.

Ironically, I was expecting the insulation to be the expensive bit - but in reality that is not too bad bought in bulk. Covering it with something however seems quite pricey!

Reply to
John Rumm

And repositioning the external FS stack, plus downpipes for rainwater. Not an insignificant amount of work.

Reply to
Andrew

FYI the cheapest place I know of for insulation is

- I have no connection, except as a satisfied customer.

Reply to
nothanks

We used to have a very good discount place locally, Last time I used them they did me a van load of 50mm boards for about £350. Enough to do

4 walls and the vaulted ceiling of my workshop. Alas they closed a few years ago...

As it happens I did look at Seconds and Co earlier, their "bulk pack" deal for fifty 60mm boards was just under £1k, which is significantly better than the normal "retail" prices (which would be 2.5 to 3 times more).

Reply to
John Rumm

There's a few of them about - CBA to dig up the details but search 'insulation seconds'. There's one in somewhere like Colchester and one in Yorkshire, and I think one of them has a branch in Scotland.

Given insulation's bulk the usual issue is transport costs - Seconds&Co are in Wales, so if you're in East Anglia or Scotland it gets pricey.

I believe some of them are nearby the factories where the make the insulation - I think it's Kingspan in Wales and Celotex in Colchester - so makes sense to get it from your local factory.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Presteigne is only "just" in Wales ;-)