zip up tower for the repairs

Residents of our blocks of flats are considering buying a 10M zip up tower for the repair of several gable walls. Prices seem to range from 1,500 to 8000. That's a big difference. We intend to buy the scaffolding and offer it to individual tradesmen who will carry out pointing and similar repairs. What aspects and costs do we need to consider?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

You need to consider how much liability the residents (management company?) might incur

Andy Burns

You could be taking on horrendous liabilities, leave it to the contractor to provide its own kit.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Scaffolding costs seem to have gone up hugely. Just had a 'preferential' quote for some on the side of house (so, 8m long, height to eaves) - £1500. I paid £400 for something similar 10 years ago.

Reply to
RJH

Warned off. Big thanks.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Around 5 years ago I paid a similar price (£400) for scaffolding for the front of my terraced house. My neighbour wanted the same around 6 weeks later and couldn't find any local scaffold company who would quote anywhere near the price I paid. The price probably depends a lot on how much work they already have booked.

Reply to
alan_m

That sort of increase was mentioned by a decorator being interviewed on last Fridays 'Wake up to money', so it seems that scaffolding companies have taken the opportunity to increase their margins massively.

Give them a couple of years and like the massive hike in 2nd hand cars in 2022, there will follow the inevitable collapse in demand (and 2nd hand car prices, other than 7+ YO cheapies are retreating both here and across the pond).

Reply to
Andrew

Unless you are prepareed to go the whole hog and do the job yourself.

Reply to
Andrew

I gather Cazoo is giving-up actually selling cars from stock, turning into an Autotrader equivalent advert site?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Possibly the leasing model not working too well if the value of (second hand) EVs is not holding up.

Reply to
alan_m

AIUI it was tech-bubble business model: rather than operating shiny dealership forecourts they'd sell online and operate a fleet of delivery vans, perfectly timed for the pandemic. Cue lots of VC investment for 'disruption'. Interest rates go up, supply and demand for cars is all over the place due to supply chain etc etc, and VCs want ROI that beats putting it in the bank. Maybe they could deliver a >0.5% return but harder to deliver a >5.25% return.

Also, I think they were limited in supply. Their main competitor Cinch is part of the Constellation group that includes BCA auctions and We Buy Any Car, so they have a ready source of stock (I think it's about half of UK car resales go through Constellation). One main source for Cazoo was BCA who also did the prepping for them, so they were buying from their competition - and BCA look after their own best interests.

Theo

Reply to
Theo