Panama Canal

I'm sure people in here will know.

There is an issue with the Panama Canal because of lack of water.

On the Thames (slightly different scale) the water come in at the "high" end and is let out through a series of locks to the tidal Thames.

Why can't the Panama Canal work on that basis?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Jeff Gaines snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com wrote

Yep

Yep

Yep

It does. The problem is the lack of water at the high end and the much higher volume of water involved to the much higher volume of massive ships moving thru the canal.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Because the high point of the Panama is in the middle. Even the Thames has trouble with low water in dry periods. Midlands canals with their up and down profile regularly have limits of use in dry periods, they work on the same principle as the Panama, a large lake/store of water at the summit. In Victorian times, the water at the bottom would be pumped back to the store at the top, but that doesnt happen now.

Reply to
Alan Lee

Bigger ships using bigger locks and using a larger amount of water.

Reply to
charles

The Panama canal is higher in the middle, and much very higher than high tide at the oceans at either end.

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m

Where is the high end of the Panama Canal?

Reply to
Tim Streater

About a decade ago they deepened and widened the canal, so it takes more water to operate the locks.

The most recent El Nino has been longer and stronger than usual bringing a drought.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sea level on the Pacific side is higher than on the Atlantic side by a whole 8 inches! Loads of other info on wiki:

Chris Hogg

Make them take their own water. Problem solved.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I'm fairly sure the laws of physics will have something to say about that...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That wasn't what I was asking.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Both ends are low, it is the middle that is high and fed from a lake.

Reply to
SteveW

Many thank for all the replies :-)

I didn't realise the high spot was in the middle that explains it!

I like the animation of how locks work, first graphical program I wrote on my BBC micro was to explain that to my daughter.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Didn't they also construct more (pumped) side ponds?

Reply to
alan_m

It does.

Reply to
JNugent

It is what you asked, (the clue is 'end') but apparently not what you meant to ask :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes I know (and knew). I was asking Jeff where he thought the high end was. In fact, the lake isn't just tapped for water to run the canal. It splits the canal into two sections and you have a 20 mile section of the lake to cross, in the middle. So the Panama canal is like 2 x River Thames back-to-back, and the lake provides water for both sections. So the canal and the Thames operate the same way; the issue is a shortage of rainfall in the area.

Reply to
Tim Streater

With the "new" supermax locks, they do pump between locks so as to reuse some of the water. The can't do that on the older ones though.

Reply to
John Rumm

And so ad infinitum?

Reply to