You people are still here?

I don't know how many years it's been since I quit trying to keep up with this group, but geez you're a tenacious bunch. Every other newsgroup I ever followed is deader than a door nail, but this one is like the Energizer bunny.

Where is everybody getting their dust collection ducting these days? Some years back I remember looking all over the place and it was like a crap-shoot, but I finally settled on getting most of my stuff from Penn State Industries. Of course, now I login to their site and find that they no longer carry any dust collection supplies, just 20 times more pen-making doodads (like I have any use for that). Obviously I could spend endless hours slogging through Google, but I thought it would be more fun to pop in here and bug you guys.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Unquestionably Confused

Rockler has it for decent prices as spiral duct goes. McMaster of course has everything, but they're a good bit higher than Rockler on the pieces I checked.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Larry Kraus

Ah, I've bought stuff from KenCraft before and I like them. I didn't know they carried dust collection fittings; thanks.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I've been buying it at Peachtree Woodworking or schedule-40 from the BORG.

Yeah, I bought my collector from Penn State and it's now orphaned. Oh, well...

Reply to
krw

Get back on facebook, old man! :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

Since the Electric Comet disappeared, traffic has all but stopped.

All my dust collection ducting is 4" schedule 20. You can buy it and fittings at Home Depot for cheap. Specialty fittings I either made or bought at Grizzly.

Reply to
Jack

I'm pretty sure you're now at least the age I was when you started calling me that. See you over there. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Looks like they still only carry the plastic fittings. My stuff is all galvanized.

Seems like somebody might have been interested in buying the dust collection part of their business, but I don't see any evidence of that.

Reply to
Steve Turner

The obvious choice yes, but their stuff was always a lot higher than Penn State. I'm mainly interested in the various "wye" joints, but GEEZ those things are expensive, and Oneida doesn't even make the one I want: 7x7x4 (neither does KenCraft). Penn State sold them and I have two, but I'd like a couple more. I guess I'll have to reduce down from 7" to 6" and get a few

6x6x4 wye joints. The only metal fittings that Grizzly sells are "industrial" grade and their prices are flat-out ridiculous.
Reply to
Steve Turner

Looks like I could get some "saddle" fittings from KenCraft:

The 4" on 7" fittings would need to be special-ordered, but I could probably convince the 4" on 6" fittings to fit on a 7" trunk.

Reply to
Steve Turner

That's pretty accurate.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Googling "7x7x4 wye" got:

Reply to
J. Clarke

Interesting, thanks!

Reply to
Steve Turner

Hmmm...I always thought Penn State was just a marketer of import Chinese stuff. Did they actually do anything of their own besides just resell imports?

I'd not looked in ages and never bought a thing from 'em, but used to get the catalogs pretty regularly.

Disappointing a ductwork source has gone south, though, I've needed to get the DC setup for the PM 180 for quite some time now and it was sorta' getting close to the next item on the list...hadn't yet quite decided where wanted to end up putting it in the barn...first floor ceiling height is quite limited so that's something of an issue as it's >8' w/ the stand...

Reply to
dpb

Does anyone? I bought the Penn State because of some really good reviews and price shopping everything I could find at the time.

Reply to
krw

Steve Turner on Sat, 1 Dec 2018 14:30:47 -0600 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Now, we all left, and were replaced by simulations.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

More lurking these days than posting but still here... about 27-28 years now best I can tell.

I've got all the tools I will ever need and then some so not much tool talk these days... I "inherited" a bunch of old hand tools from friends and family the past few years. I spent months this year cleaning and tuning them up. My electrolysis set up was taken down only a couple days ago.

Most of my recent woodworking projects were small and for gifts. Things like end grain maple cutting boards and coat racks. The only big project I've been working on is milling trees into boards with my chainsaw mill. I got a bunch of beaver killed cherry last year that I recently finished sawing and stickering. I've been collecting ash too. The ash is for flooring for my house. That project is coming along. Not much to talk about there... lots of repetition! I am getting a lot more ash from a tree service guy I know. He has a job lined up to take down trees that are still partially alive but will be dead soon. He's going to let me use his Woodmizer to cut that up... The Eastern Ash Borer has been moving through the area for a while now. I took down 36 trees at my parents house, all but 6 were ash. One day I removed 37 fallen ash from a 2 mile stretch of a rail trail. Most were not big enough to bother milling.

Still lurking...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Not unrealistic... Given the repetition I've seen over the past 3 decades it wouldn't be hard to programmatically mine the old discussions to create new discussions. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin