Vintage Saw Mill Owners - Is This a Dinging Table for Blades ?

I bought a tool that I'm told is for hammering very large blades. Wondering if you've ever seen a beast like this thing ??? Originally thought this was a manual rail road switch. Below is a link for the visual if the file does not show up in the email.
http://www.wowabunga.com/IDME/marion_switch.JPG
Any productive direction appreciated.
Ramblin Randy