10" Craftsman Contractor Table Saw Model #113.298842

I recently inherited this table saw from my mother. It probably hasn't been used in 8+ years. I know that the last time it was used, it worked like a champ. In the process of moving, the movers removed the belt and motor and reinstalled the motor upside down. The belt is missing, so I ordered another one. Now, the saw is all put together and there is one problem. Well, two I guess. When at full RPM, the saw is making a horribly high pitch sound. What is causing that? The grease dry out over time? Where do I lube the moving parts? I dont see grease fittings anywhere. The second problem is, no manual for saw. Does anyone know where I can track one down? I would like to know how to maintain this fine saw. Thank you in advance for any help possible. -Jim

Reply to
whitsettj

As far as the sound goes it is hard to tell from the description. Take a look at pulley alignments on the motor and arbor shaft. If they are way off you might be getting some belt squeal. Also, does it do in in all height positions. My old Craftsman used to make noise when you tried to lift to blade too high. I have never heard of bearings going out on one of these old saws but I am sure they can.

Go to customer service at

. They used to be pretty good at providing .pdf files of manuals for their older equipment. I downloaded one for a 1950's vintage jointer about one year ago. However, I see a lot of griping about their parts and service here and at other sites. Shame. That was a strength for years.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

It's not possible to install the motor upside down. It can only be mounted four ways, three of them blatantly obviously wrong (pulley up, pulley down, pulley left). The fourth way is right.

This is your basic Sears table saw design of some 40 years. This particular one has a belt guard on the motor. Look at the diagram at

(you need that whole part number to access the diagram) and you will see that there's a circular metal mounting plate and a plastic shroud that attaches to it. My guess is that there is some rubbing going on there. Were it me, I'd probably just remove and toss the guard, having run my Sears saw that way for years.

Also, two other tips whenever trying to sort out a noise problem on a tool: try rotating the motor/arbor/blade assembly by hand (with the saw UNPLUGGED). See if you can feel/hear anything anomalous. Second, remove the blade and run the saw without the blade. Blades contribute a lot of noise on their own.

There are no grease points, per se. The bearings are sealed and the trunnions and movement controls should be dry lubed (to avoid attracting saw dust).

The diagrams at the site above will suffice for most of your needs. Much of the manual is diagrams and parts list which you will get at the link. There will be some safety instructions. Duh. The rest of the manual will be general saw operation instructions which aren't even specific to that model saw. So, go over to

and see what they have for manuals for Sears table saws. Almost anything in the 113.29xxx range will do it for you.

If all else fails, email me and I will email a PDF file of a 113.29001 (I think) manual. As I said above, the saw is ubiquitous, and anything close will give you the general idea of the stuff you want to know. That particular saw (which I no longer have) dates to the late '50s, early '60s.

I have an article on my website regarding the Craftsman saw which may have some useful information for you.

Reply to
LRod

On my Mom's similar saw, the arbor pulley can rub on the underside of the table when the blade is fully raised. See if that's the problem.

Reply to
kkfitzge

Hi Jim,

I have been restoring a Craftsman 100 table saw. You have gotten a lot of good advice here so far. You may want to check the bearings. Take the blade off and remove the belt, then just turn the arbor and feel for any roughness or movement. When I finally got mine all corrected, there is no slop or play of any kind, just a silkly smooth turning of the arobr. If you need a new arbor, contact me at snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net. I have an extra that we can talk about and it is the same part number that shows up in the "cart" as your model number (my saw is 113.29991). Good luck. David

Reply to
Genedoc