Portable Table Saw

I will be buying a portable table saw. I haven't done much research yet but the Ridgid TS2400LS caught my attention mainly due to the table saw stand/cart. I am a carpenter that needs it for side jobs (evenings/weekends)who is 99% of the time working by himself so the convenience of the portability is critical. I will not be building furniture with it but I do not want to waste my money. Basically I want bang for the buck.

Reply to
TB

Congratulations on your decision. ;-) May you and your saw have a long and fulfilling relationship.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

What ever you pick, it will be a direct drive unit.

Translation:

They are all garbage.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:24:55 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I tend to agree, although I would say limited rather than garbage, but what is the option for a portable sawing station, as the guy requires?

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

I don't have an answer to your question.

I'll soon be starting to finish out the interior of a boat.

I could certainly use a decent portable saw, if I could find one.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Wed, Nov 17, 2004, 12:32pm (EST+13) snipped-for-privacy@dodo.com.au (Old=A0Nick) asks: but what is the option for a portable sawing station, as the guy requires?

I would say depends. If he's only cutting 2X4s and such, a miter saw would probably do. The only real info he gave was, "carpenter" and "portability", no mention of what he would actually cut. Hell, if he wants portable, a handsaw and a couple of sawhorses would do, or a circular saw and sawhorses.

Details, details, details, everybody always leave out the details, and then expect people to read their minds.

JOAT Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification.

- Publilius Syrus

Reply to
J T

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:02:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I agree. More info.

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

On 16 Nov 2004 17:29:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (TB) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

You need to supply more info. Seriously. What are you _doing_ with the saw?

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

tburic asks:

Go for the Ridgid, or the Craftsman Job Site saw. I reviewed a bunch of these saws for a trade magazine, and those were the top two.

Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx

Reply to
Charlie Self

What's _wrong_ with direct drive ?

OK, so most junk saws are direct drive. But could a _good_ direct drive saw be built, perhaps as something lightweight and portable for this type of trim work ? is there any fundamental reason why all direct drive saws have to end up as junk ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It can be built, and it exists. I have a nice Metabo table saw with direct drive, and the only drawback is that you are stuck with a speed just below 3000rpm due to the asynchronous motor.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

besides, the ryobi BT saws are a 2 belt drive. not a bad saw, for what it is....

Reply to
bridger

Having tried to use a couple of these units, I'll stand by my observation.

I'm with you.

Trying to use a contractor's saw as a portable job site sevice is out of the question, IMHO.

The only way I would consider it would be to have a C/S permanently mounted in a trailer, but then you would also have to probably add a generator along with a suitable tow vehicle.

That turns into a major investment in a hurry.

One of the things I have thought about is to add a sled along with miter sled and some 30-60 and 45 degree drafting triangles for trim work.

What do you think of such an approach?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You want details...mostly for plywood (3/4") and trimwork.

Reply to
TB

On 17 Nov 2004 21:12:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (TB) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

He didn't actually. I did

However. By plywood are you referring to large sheets? Table saws of any type a very limited at this. You are better off using a circular saw, and fences or some sort of guide, using foam sheets to lay under the wood. Trying to handle sheets of ply in even a large table saw can be a nuisance and dangerous. With care and good blades, you can get good cuts. Table saws take more care than many people think to get good cuts too

For trimwork, maybe a sliding compound?

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

Lew Hodgett responds:

Sleds are always great for accuracy, but, believe it or not, I found the fences accurate on these saws, with some relative ease in adjustability. The miter gauges were highly variable. The Porter-Cable had about the best, but, IMHO, miter gauges are for quick and dirty cutting--which can make them fine for carpentry. Anything that will outdo a Skil style saw in miter accuracy is a help there.

Have you tried any of the new (about 18 months old) versions of these saws. Actually, the DeWalt has been around about a decade, and is still good, while the Bosch & P-C have been around a bit, too, though not as long. The Ryobi is OK as a super cheap, super light saw, but the Ridgid and Craftsman are the tops of the job site versions. The Ridgid wins on size--it is slightly larger than the Craftsman, with more space in front of the blade. But it doesn't have an extension tables in back.

I'm told the Craftsman is being modified and the new model will be out early next year.

Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx

Reply to
Charlie Self

Taking a different tack, what about build- ing a belt-drive saw with the motor underneath instead of at the back? Part of the problem with moving a belt- drive saw around is that they are so back-heavy.

Reply to
BUB 209

Once again, I consider the factory miter gage a very modest step above useless, thus my sled comment.

Actually for a boat building project, the only purpose of a portable saw is to have it in the boat so you don't have to climb the steps every time you need to cut something.

At this point it is a toss up whether I get a portable saw or a chop saw for use in the boat since the contractor's saw is still at ground level.

Probably a more important finish tool for trim work in a boat is a 12" disk sander.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett