Canal question

Basingstoke Canal

Nice to see the nearby new aquaduct mentioned. That is two aquaducts fairly close to each other for those that might be interested

Alan

Reply to
Roberts

Oddly enough, its aquEduct, not acquAduct.

Someone with a dehree in latin will no doubt tell us it means not 'water channel' but 'channel (of, for or on behalf of) water'..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Interesting - all others are aquA. A bit of poking about in Google to remind me of my latin lessons in the 1950's brings back terms like 'First Declension'. 'nominative', genitive','ablative', etc.

No doubt an etymologist will appear in due course, but I did see that the latin for an 'aqueduct' is 'aquaeductus' with the 'aquAE' root indicating genitive 'of' water', ablative 'for water' or plural 'waters'.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Or is it 'aqua-eductus' as in the same root as educate..that is to lead..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

New? You mean this one here:

?

That was opened about 15 years ago. I s'pose in canal terms that's pretty new.

The other one is here:

btw.

Where was it mentioned anyhow?

Reply to
Vortex7

You would need to go and ask the Romans

Reply to
robgraham

Yes, you are correct 15 years ago is of course 1995. It was first mentioned in this news group under the heading "Totally OT - canal question" yesterday

17th August. The second picture is where the canal goes over the railway. There is a pub just out of shot to the left and the pub car park shows up clearly. The canal did leak onto the electric railway causing some problems. The canal also leaked onto the airfield at Farnborough causing a few problems because it was the first day of the Air Show. If my aged memory is correct.! I still think my way of spelling aquaduct makes more sense!

Space for abuse

Alan

Reply to
Roberts

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember robgraham saying something like:

What did they ever do for us?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ah the Kings Head. I grew up in Frimley. In the 1960's my parents used to go there on sunny Lunchtimes for a drink while I would watch the last of the steam engines passing.

Of course the canal was derelict then, and in the 1970's I roamed the whole area by bicycle with my mates. In 1976 you could cycle the canal bed for much of it's length. There were at least 6 skeletal narrow boats in various places. I also remember a rusty tank (the tracked variety) somewhere near Ash Wharf.

You could hand catch (indigenous) crayfish in those days. Now the canal is infested with the "Red Signal" variety.

Our school arranged some trips to assist with the dredging of the canal near Odiham where a bunch of beardies ran a steam dredger. That was fun....in the days before risk assessments were invented.

Reply to
Vortex7