I have a puzzling question:
Our recently purchased apartment house is wired with two wire Romex
cable -- hot and neutral, no ground.
All of the outlets are two prong.
I tested the outlets using a pen-type tester -- the kind that can
sense the current without having to actually contact the wire.
When I tested the outlets, both sides came up hot.
I thought this was odd -- so I tested the outlets at my house, which
has more modern wiring (grounded) and sure enough, one side read hot,
the other nothing.
So what's happening at the apartment -- why would both sides of the
outlet read as hot?
I'd say that the tester is possibly picking up voltage from the hot
side, except that in my home wiring, it doesn't do that.