EDF WTF?

"We're sorry we can't offer you a quote online today

Due to ongoing energy market volatility we don’t have any fixed energy tariff deals available."

I'm paying over 30p a unit. On the existing fixed tarriff. For electricity that wholesales at 4p a unit (nuclear).

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shame there isn't a nuclear only tariff, in much the same way there are "renewable" tariffs.

Reply to
Fredxx

I thought most suppliers were saying simila?

some say "if you really, really, want to move to us, you need to phone"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mmm. I don't normally bother with supplier hopping. I hit the supermarket yesterday. Butter jumped from £2 to £2.60 My impression that energy and food costs are likely to triple is not as yet unjustified. Although petrol and diesel seem to have peaked for now One way or another the consumer is going to have to pay for lockdown, renewable energy, and the war in Ukraine...

...higher taxes are politically undesirable, so galloping inflation it is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Except that 50% of electricity is still generated by gas and gas is over 460/whatever at the moment which is about 10x what it was at the start of 2021

Reply to
Andrew

At the moment "the price cap" is more or less the only game in town, on the moneysavingexpert site the only suppliers even bothering to quote are Scottish Power, Co-op Energy, Ebico Living and Utility Warehouse.

UW claim I could save £10 with them, the others are roughly £1600, £2500 or £3000 a year more expensive

Maybe ... I do have a few rolls of insulation that I *really* ought to top-up in the loft this year.

Feels that way for now.

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1

Maybe suggest it to the powers that be?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

It would still have to pay the green surcharge

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's an idea. Nationalise the nuclear power industry and sell electricity at cost.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It *is* nationalised, by the French Government, who heavily subsidise users over La manche.

Reply to
Andrew

If the French can do it, why can't we? How many Billions have we frittered away post Brexit with little to show other than still being here.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Where can I buy French electricity ?

TBH it's actually cheap gas I need.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

Blame the one-eyed Scot. He made the UK nuclear power industry pay for 'Carbon' even though they didn't emit any crashed their value and share price such that the French Government (via EDF) was able to buy up our nukes on the cheap.

Reply to
Andrew

Gas was too chaep for far too long, just like milk sold in the Supermarkets. Suddenly, all the price rises that should have happened gradually over the last 15 years have come in one big hit

Reply to
Andrew