Reducing costs

At the moment I have configured the heating system to only use the heat pump, whilst isolating the two 3kW immersion heaters. This drives a 2.5kW bathroom radiator and only one 1.8kW living room radiator at ~35C and warm domestic water at ~40C. I run this arrangement on the 'off peak' electricity for 5 hours at a cost of 70p. All this is with an outside temperature of 14C, so it will be interesting to see what happens with the new tariffs when it is freezing outside.

I have also switched off the large freezer, reducing the total daily cost by 68p.

Reply to
jon

Buy some longjohns while you can, and a thick sweater.

Don’t forget to de-Legionella the hot water tank once a week.

Unless the freezer is empty, that’s not recommended (radio news this morning).

Reply to
Spike

And some hot water bottles.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Or a wife - although that tends to increase costs overall!

Reply to
SteveW

Get a trophy wife on a prenuptial. That way she can be sacked on a standard fixed tariff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

get electric foot heater

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Makes a lot more sense to get a heated throw, basically an electric blanket that you use on an armchair or sofa.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Makes a lot more sense to get an electric blanket.

Reply to
Rod Speed

14 C? Where are you?

I dream of a cool day, I don’t like the heat.

Reply to
Brian

Even if its made of copper ?.

Reply to
Andrew

An electric 'throw' is quite effective. Just don't trip over the cable and end up in A&E

Reply to
Andrew

I notice many houses locally, where they would leave lights on over night, are now turning them off.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

shirley LED bulbs take nothing ? ....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

I have dusk to dawn light in my front porch and selected the lowest energy LED bulb I could find for it - around 2W. That's still £2.50 per year but a cost I'm willing to accept

Perhaps now people are looking at their smart meter monitors and seriously looking at their unnecessary electric consumption. :)

Reply to
alan_m

you are correct, but the fact is that the power companies are now making up the money they lost by us switching to led. You cant beat them except by nationalising them.

Reply to
Ponyface

Yes - watching TV of an evening, I see 4 houses across the road through the window. All dark now - before, there'd be hall and outside lights left on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News