Gridwatch on TV

Power to the people, keeping the lights on. BBC4 9-10pm this evening. Mainly about SSE and Ferrybridge, and its closure next year, but also Great Gabbard wind farm and Ferrybridge multifuel station mentioned. One of the Ferrybridge control room operators brought up Gridwatch on his computer screen to check the national wind power generation.

Some interesting comments, not least that wind power is very expensive, which is in direct conflict with what the renewables industry seems to say.

If you missed it watch on BBC I-player

. Or

Chris Hogg

Once again no credit given or permission asked..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt you're surprised!

A bugette: the Solar PV label overwrites the pretty sun (which appears to be setting) and almost hits the French ICT label.

Not here it don't

Bloody BBC. Had to crash the system as it went into thrash mode on swap as more people than ever before hit the site at 10pm.

Cam anyone help me get a donate button on it? I need to buy a bigger VPS

- 384M RAM just doesn't cut the mustard any more.

Not at 3.5million hits a day from 80,000 different web browsers..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Double checked and it does on Firefox 42.0.

OK on Chrome though.

Install better fonts ;-)

Arial Narrow..is preferred

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes - shove a Paypal button on it. You might even be able to use a Donate button:

but you'll probably have to have a chat and explain you are offering a not for profit service. It does let people offer a random amount - not sure if that can be done or not with the normal "Buy Now" button.

You may or may not like PP personally, but it is the most hassle free way for the majority of people to job a few quid your way - and I'll give you a contribution when your done!

Would you like someone to thrash out the details with PayPal a bit more?

Reply to
Tim Watts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Wishful thinking! Solar will be around for a while yet, until fracking gas and new nukes get fully established.

OK on FF 41.0.1

Out of interest, where did you get FF 42.0. from, as mine says it's up-to-date? Is it a beta version?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

standard on Linux.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I might have guessed!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

42 - not on beta channel - on Windows XP and 7 here (both 32 bit - I cba'd to go to a Windows 7 64 machine just to check).
Reply to
Robin

Oh. Umm. Thanks.

Just done a proper check as an administrator (I normally run as a user); FF now updated to 42. Automatic updates not working properly it seems.

But Gridwatch solar label still OK.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Firefox were pleased to congratulate me on having successfully acquired version 42.0 This was yesterday on XP.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

This code puts a "Donate" button on our website. I didn't write it, so don't ask me how it works! Presumably the ID value is what identifies the account, so I have removed it.

  Donations can be made by clicking the PayPal button below.
Reply to
newshound

"Version 42.0, first offered to Release channel users on November 3,

2015 " (ex

But I don't know when by default Firefox checks for updates.

Reply to
Robin

Yees I noticed this as well. I think renewables has been fine except that keeping the devices on line in inclement weather and massive repair costs are crippling it. However as also said on the programme, the wind does not always blow when you need the electricity.

The only true answer is a mixed solution of fossil fueled, and Nuclear and renewables. What the world lacks of course is efficient power storage for electricity which does not convert it to another form and then back again. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Simple. Run a long flex across the North Sea. Dam all the Norwegian fjords, turn them all into pump storage.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The only true answer is a mixed solution of fossil fuelled, and Nuclear.

No renewables needed at all, though a bit of hydro and rubbish burning are cost effective.

No! Really?!

I see a glaring omission in your science education there, Brian

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I say just damn the wind turbines, and then we don't need any of that shit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Norway has no pumped storage ATM, and doesn't need it. If you're going to dam all the fjords and run high-capacity interconnectors over there, let nature do the pumping in the form of rain and snow, as it does now. You still don't need wind farms or solar.

But all of Europe will want some of Norway's hydropower; will there be enough?

Reply to
Chris Hogg