Gridwatch on TV

[73 lines snipped]

The Chair of the Campaign Against Climate Change was talking about "restructuring society" which made little chills run up and down my spine. She was a very scary person.

Reply to
Huge

Cat belling is what the Left - and I count greens as being Left - do best.

Come up with a solution - 'storage' - and say the issue is solved without the faintest idea of how to do it or what it will cost.

I have actually reviewed te careers of nearly all the currently sitting MPs, It is notable that the more left they are, the less likely they are to have ever worked outside the public sector, i.e. they treat money as something that is not to be made, merely to be spent pursuing political and career objectives.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mind you the equation for 'climate change' is not written down anywhere nor is it famous. They are not keen to have it examined by curious men.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Here's a cool thing. a statistician has offered a $100,000 prize for anyone who can correctly identify trends in random time series, some of which have had trends applied, and some not.

and a critique of the statistics of AGW

"You should, in science, believe logic and arguments, carefully drawn, and not authorities."

?Richard P. Feynman

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's a well known phenomenon.

Reply to
Huge

Oh dear!

You couldn't make this stuff up, if you tried.

In support of his argument, the OP has quoted a bald assertion, devoid of any logic or argument, solely on the basis of the reputation of the person making that assertion.

Which, in case it needs pointing out, runs totally contrary to what's being asserted by his chosen authority.

michael adams

michael adams

We seem to have survived the Black Death as well, come to think of it.

Plus countless other plagues and famines no doubt.

Although whether such things ever affected the aboriginal peoples of your adopted homeland, whether as a voluntary or an involuntary adoptee, is maybe another question.

michael adams

michael adams

Not sure most of the Bullingdon boys are much better.....

Reply to
newshound

Reply to
bob.smithson

Oops! My bad. I'm so used to dealing with bytes rather than Watts. :-)

Yes, I meant GigaWatts but I'm pretty certain the autonomy is an hour or three longer (BICBW).

That's close to what you can get (round trip) with lead acid battery based kit.

====snip====

Agreed! The need to build "conventional" nuclear power stations is such a 'no-brainer', I'm astounded that the proliferation of such stations has not only stalled but actually gone into reverse!!!

The anti-nuclear lobbyist's objections to an accelerated nuclear power station building programme using the lame excuse about the long term storage of radioactive waste being an "insoluble" problem simply doesn't wash these days now that we have MSR (LFTR) looming on the horizon to convert such 'waste' into less harmful products (effectively recycling the radioactive crap out of the waste into a more useful energy form).

So, that's *two* "Stopgap" nuclear power station technologies then before the 'Holy Grail' of Fusion Power finally arrives to pull the whole world out of its energy poverty crisis. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Correction! GW, not TW! I'm so used to dealing with bytes of disk storage capacity now being measured using the T prefix. :-(

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Please not my correction of the T prefixes to G prefixes in the above.

I was relying on memory. I possibly conflated the figure with one I recall for lead acid. Checking a wiki article, it seems it can vary from a high of 92% with low charge/discharge rates down to 50% or less when dealing with the, of necessity, 5 or 6 hour cycle times in a lead acid battery replacement on the scale of Ffestiniog's PHP facility.

Checking out the wiki on Ffestiniog reveals an average efficiency of 72 to 73 percent.

Looks like your news client mangled the last two l "Since the efficiencies are very similar, you might well ask why lead acid battery storage isn't used. The answer is simply the capital and ongoing maintenance costs of such a system on a scale large enough to make a useful contribution to the national grid would be an order of magnitude greater and a logistics nightmare (thousands of litres of H2SO4 and millions of tons of lead just for starters!)."

Exactly! The UK simply lacks the required topography to make further projects like Dinorwig and Ffestiniog financially feasible.

Two weeks storage, whilst it might maximise the utility of a wind farm's production from its fleet of turbines and be 'nice to have', is a totally unrealistic target. Some form of energy storage for wind power will improve a wind farm's utility but there's a trade off between the extremes of no storage and the more ideal two weeks storage option in terms of the ROI in any such wind power storage upgrades.

I'd guess the optimum capacity for any such 'upgrades' will likely be in the 3 to 12 hour ballpark (assuming such a need has a higher priority than the building of another nuclear power station instead).

In fact, the need to use energy storage in the grid will diminish with the adoption of LFTR since it has good load following characteristics. As the LFTR does not suffer xenon poisoning, there is no problem reducing the power output in times of low demand for electricity and turning it back up during high demand periods.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

It's hard to tell the difference without the odd emoticon here and there to help clarify which is which in a usenet posting.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I'm afraid you're a little late, TNP has already pointed out the mistake. Dealing with HDD capacity figures over the past 5 years has made me overly familiar with the T prefix. I meant GW not TW but force of habit misguided my fingers to the shift and T keys.

Our problems would be largely solved if pumped storage capacity *was* routinely measured in Terra Watts. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

If we had massive storage at low cost all it would mean is that we would have about half the number of power stations that we do.

If it was light enough we would have electric cars ships and aeroplanes too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually, sometimes they do. IIRC there was a miners strike some years ago, and we all had to go on short hours as there wasn't much coal generated power.

The nukes of course kept on ticking.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

they didn't all go off together without much warning.

In fact there was so MUCH warning that ultimately Thatcher managed to survive a prolonged miners strikes on stockpiled coal.

Which is why certain forces that want to tear down the way things are, hate them so much.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher