OT: new baby

Folks, I have to announce the arrival of my first child, a lovely little girl. My wife has lots of DIY lined up for me - changing nappies myself, wiping up sick, etc.
1. Will I be curtailed from doing my definition of DIY when I have a child in the house (after I've put up the blinds in her room) ?
2. What are my chances of her being interested in DIY ?
Cheers, Simon.
On 10/14/2013 5:20 PM, sm_jamieson wrote:

Congratulations!
Do what we did - give them real tools (NOT toy ones), suitably sized for little hands, and show them how to do things with them. Both son and daughter are good with DIY.

+1
Grandfather got me a set of [real] tools in a leather roll, at probably around age 8 or so. One of the best presents I ever had.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 14/10/2013 20:12, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

+2. I still have two pairs of small pliers and a toolbox which my father bought me on successive birthdays and Xmas starting when I was about 7.

The best present I ever had was a Junior Hacksaw, again, around 8. Unfortunately we were on holiday at the time and I was bursting to get home so I could put it to work:-)

--
Tim Lamb

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 17:29:31 +0100, S Viemeister wrote:

Yes! I knew how to strip, clean rebuild and lube and then adjust bike hubs long before I had the strength to get the lock-nuts tight enough. Also found out how to dismantle electrical items - luckily I was on a bed for the first one, so after that and for the last 60mumble years I've been paranoid about checking supply (hasn't always worked!).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Congratulations :-)

No, the list gets longer :-)

Those small hands are handy for collecting the pingfuckit from under the kitchen unit where your fat hands can't reach. Get them helping early :-)
Darren
On 14/10/2013 17:35, D.M.Chapman wrote:

Children are also good for sending under the floor to pull in cables (saving my bad knees) ;)
SteveW
On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 16:35:00 +0000 (UTC), D.M.Chapman wrote:

But called a "wheredego" in the presence of little ones. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 14/10/2013 17:20, sm_jamieson wrote:

Make a mobile to go over the cot by hanging a variety of hammers and spanners there.
Colin Bignell

Congratulations:-)
I hope mother and babe are doing well.

Huh! Once used cots/push chairs/toys/etc. will come flying through your door from friends and rellies. Each one needing a few special bolts/pins/latches that the previous user has mislaid.

Current experience is grandchildren. One of whom thinks the house French drain gravel is an ideal toy: to be put in piles on the patio, used to fill any nearby plant pot or carried around in her trolley. Possible builder aged 2.5?
--
Tim Lamb

On 14/10/2013 18:08, Tim Lamb wrote:

You should also invest in stocks of super glue - even if you have never found much need in the past, you will shortly find a constant stream of broken plastic things that need reattaching!
--
Cheers,

John.
sm_jamieson wrote:

Congratulations.

Depends. My brother took a week off work when his daughter was born. He knocked out and fitted a door between the dining room and kitchen that week.

And why should she not be interested in DIY - the gf is a qualified welder.
--
Adam

On Monday 14 October 2013 18:12 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

From me too... Yes - they suck your time - but not as much as when they are 10 - so FFS do everything now!

<bows in humble respect>
My dauhgter *can* do stuff. However she's not hugely interested - but if I make it worth her while, she is willing and competant.
Son (8) is far more enthusiastic - and despite being accident prone[1], he is very careful when he is on a job. He helped me staple down UFH pipe the other day...

On 14/10/2013 17:20, sm_jamieson wrote:

Congrats. Time to throw the TV set out, and investigate a plethora of books recently published "how to bring up a geek child". Have music, books and art/DIY materials readily available - and try and avoid the society stereotypes that expect girls to play with dolls, boys with angle grinders etc. By three, she should be coding in Python....
A role model : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeri_Ellsworth
--
Adrian C

Dunno!, but one word of advice from an olde dad is to enjoy the happiness they bring as much as you and your lady can, because it don't seem to last 5 minutes before there're leaving home;!..
--
Tony Sayer

juts suffering from empty nest syndrome a bit;!..
sm_jamieson wrote:

Congratulations young sir.

No! In my personal experience, you'll be a lot busier with the DiY as she gets older (at least I was between her mothers projects, her own and my sons through the years).

If my daughter's anything to go by, you can start building the extra bench and buying the overalls and tool kit for her (daughter was around three when she showed an interest in what I was doing, and that's when I started teaching her the correct way to use the smaller 'safe' tools). She's now well into her 40s and still into small joinery, building maintenance, motor vehicle and small appliance repairs (and puts her brothers to shame now and again).
In fact, she uses my workshop more than me these days - and she's now helping to teach my young grand-children.
Ah! One small piece of advice, assemble a first aid kit, keep it in a handy place (away from little fingers though) and learn how to use it - you'll need it, that's for sure. :-)
All the best to you and your family for the future Simon.
Cash
On 14/10/2013 22:26, Cash wrote:

Remember to tell them that you don't hold a soldering iron like a pencil.
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 12:39:44 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

in a

it -

Even without DIY you'll need a First Aid kit. Don't people have one as a matter of course anyway?

Or try to catch it when you drop it. DAMHIKT...
--
Cheers
Dave.

Lx tape, or even gaffer tape, will stop most bleeding. Otherwise use a handkerchief.

That also applies to a saw.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18