OT: new baby

Wot 'e said...When you realise that one's offspring would rather learn that eat, that's a significant moment.

Reading time is really important.

Using a stencil and file cards, I put individual words on the cards in order to make up simple sentences and nursery rhymes. As soon as I got home after work my 3yo son would say "do words, daddy!", and we'd spend ten or fifteen minutes 'doing words'. Sometimes I'd swap two words round, and he never failed to spot it. "Silly daddy!", I'd say. When he started at infant school he had a reading age of 9. In the end I wound up with about a thousand words on cards, but by then he was a competent reader.

When I was about 3yo, I was 'helping' my dad to do some DIY. I must have been getting in the way, because he asked me to go and get him a gimlet. Two minutes later and I appeared with it...much to everyone's surprise. 'Sponge' is a good word for the ability of young children to soak up knowledge.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Congratulations....

Enjoy - don't worry it only lasts a few years ;-)

Fair, if you teach em right. There also comes a point where they fit into underfloor void spaces and can do useful stuff toting cables about ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

When I first saw the subject I thought it was another "How to".

Then I noticed it was OT.

Has anybody ever had a not new baby?

Reply to
AnthonyL

It's very sad going into a house where there are no books.

Reply to
mogga

Remember to tell them that you don't hold a soldering iron like a pencil.

Reply to
dennis

Even without DIY you'll need a First Aid kit. Don't people have one as a matter of course anyway?

Or try to catch it when you drop it. DAMHIKT...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Lx tape, or even gaffer tape, will stop most bleeding. Otherwise use a handkerchief.

That also applies to a saw.

Reply to
charles

Yes! I knew how to strip, clean rebuild and lube and then adjust bike hubs long before I had the strength to get the lock-nuts tight enough. Also found out how to dismantle electrical items - luckily I was on a bed for the first one, so after that and for the last 60mumble years I've been paranoid about checking supply (hasn't always worked!).

Reply to
PeterC

Well, I *did* see an advert for a "NEARLY NEW BABY SALE" in Hanley a while ago, but as I was busy driving, there's no picture....

Reply to
John Williamson

+1 ...

Especially when female ;!!....

Reply to
tony sayer

You haven't been putting yours up the chimneys then;?.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Not had the need yet ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

You should also invest in stocks of super glue - even if you have never found much need in the past, you will shortly find a constant stream of broken plastic things that need reattaching!

Reply to
John Rumm

My sister was 3 weeks old when my Parents got her:-)

Reply to
ARW

And then she will want a lift to the pub/friends house/club/shops etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And alas all too common.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Definitely not here. We've had to ask people not to give the kids books as presents, as we've run out of space - to be fair books for the eldest are still good, but his younger brothers can browse the "library" and his cast-offs for a good few years before we need to re-stock. I need to have a clear out of my own books soon as they've overflowed the bookcases, the unit tops in and run out of space at the foot of the bed ... yet again.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Teach her that challenging authority is not intrinsically wrong, but that if she wants to challenge authority, she must put together a set of reasons *why*, and there is value in thinking for a while and coming back later.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

It was great fun buying books for my neice when she was small, I enjoyed reading them to her too.

I had a big clear out of books a few months ago ahead of a planned house move. All those books stuffed into the top of the wordrobe or spreading like a sand pile across the floor, if I had not read them in forty years would I ever? After taking several barrow loads to the charity shop I called in a book dealer to take away 3/4 of my library for a pitiful sum. And only today I thought of something I had read and realised I could no longer check the referrence because the book had gone.

Reply to
djc