Best Rated threads in UK Do-It-Yourself Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

clever fixing of bath to wall batten ?
My bath rim will be supported on a wooden batten fixed to the wall, to avoid movement of the tile/bath seal etc. I want to come up with a way of fixing the rim to the batten from below (i.e. under the...
22
22

cutting down kitchen unit plinth
Hi I need to trim the plinths that go under our kitchen units as they wont fit with the new tiles in place. With the plinths being the usual chipboard with a thin laminate coating, I am trying to...
9
9

Hot water surges from a combi boiler
I have just changed our shower setup from an electric system to one running off our combi bolier. The new system is more powerful and generally works fine, but sometimes after a couple of minutes...
4
4

Cooker switch back box
In your esteemed estimation, does a cooker switch _have_ to be on a 50mm back box or will a 40mm do? I ask as I'm moving mine to somewhere different on a stud partition and can't find any 50mm dry...
8
8

Garden shed over manhole.
I have a manhole in the middle of my kitchen floor, there is a hatch in the subfloor and insulation, the topfloor goes over the top. BCO approved it, it had to be an airtight cover. Rick
2
2

powder coated gates dulling
Hi all We got front gates made about 3 years ago and the finished gates powder coated in black. The finish was fairly matt rather than high gloss, and they have been fine up until now. When the...
25
25

Fixing an Alumium frame to an RSJ head
Hello I've got an aluminum patio door ordered to close off a sunroom. The opening into the sunroom is supported by an RSJ beam. The beam has been studded off (with 2"x1" battens) and plastered. The...
2
2

converting part of garden to a drive
Hi I googled but couldn't find anything tht really matched my question. I have a new townhouse (3 years old) that has an integral garage and driveway that is big enough for one car. next to the drive...
11
11

My shed & garage electricity supplies & earthing!
Currently I only have RCD protected circuits in my house (One for sockets & fixed appliances, and one for the lighting (Tripping one does not affect the other) (I am planning on re arranging this,...
17
17

Treating dusty garage floor?
Our garage, and the area directly outside, has a concrete floor. I reckon it's now about 16 years old. It always seems dusty, and I'm constantly sweeping it out. Is it likely the floor material is...
12
12

Heating, pros & cons of Gravity vs pumped
Current heating is pumped with gravity HW, What are the pros and cons of Gravity with controls (i.e Tank stat & valve) vs fully pumped with 3 way valve? Is one more efficient that the other?
8
8

Keston boiler problem
My Keston boiler has stopped working. All the front lights on my celcius 25 are out. It looks like a power cut/fuse out situation but a simple test with multimeter show that power is at all the right...
20
20

wiring in a 3KW kiln
My wife has just purchased a 3KW kiln and it comes with a 13A plug. I am not too happy about connecting it via the plug. Should I put in a 20A switch? If so, should I also put this on a spur with...
24
24

Re: I got a shock, and RCD didn't trip...
| Hi, | | I was rooting around under the floor yesterday, sorting out some of the | previous owners' disasters in the wiring department. At one point, I | happened to grab a 5A cable, and at the same...
10
10

Old Wallpaper matching app
I have walls with 40 year old wallpaper which has damp patches and a section needs replacing. Is there a way I can photograph the wallpaper and get onto Internet to see if there is a match I can...
2
2

To use 1.0mm or 1.5mm wire? (lighting)
I want to install a light in the shed aswell as deck lights and a garage light, these wont be on the same load. I'm putting a 5 way CU in the shed. But i was going to use 1.0mm for the shed light and...
9
9

Storage heaters - Does covering them cause them to break down?
Hi, My lodger has just had a 2nd storage heater break down on her (I replaced the 1st one having been unsuccessful in trying to cure the problem by replacing the input thermostat). She had been...
6
6

Mini-digger digging parallel to wall
Hi all, I have hired a 3ton mechanical digger before, but with a new job at the house I have to dig close and parallel to a wall. Is there a way of angling the arm and digging in a kind of 45deg...
11
11

Attaching slate sign to pebbledashed wall
I need to attach a house sign that?s made of slate and is about A5 size, it has no attachment holes and is being attached to a pebbledashed surface that has been painted. I can?t drill any holes in...
19
19

Socket Converter 2 Gang to 4 Gang
We really need more electrical sockets in our kitchen. We have 5 double sockets, but it's not enough! (1st World problems, I know.) I can find some "Socket Converters 2 Gang to 4 Gang", but none from...
12
12