cutting down kitchen unit plinth

Hi

I need to trim the plinths that go under our kitchen units as they wont fit with the new tiles in place.

With the plinths being the usual chipboard with a thin laminate coating, I am trying to avoid chipping the laminate on the front edge.

Can anyone advise the best method ? If I had any spare, Id experiment myself !

Im wondering whether cutting with the front side up or back side up is better and whether it is preferable to use a hand saw rather than a jig saw or table saw to minimise chipping ?

Thanks for any advise.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

Are the plinths set in slightly, to leave a kickspace? If so, the top edge will only be visible to someone lying on the floor, or very nearly. Make sure that the cut edge goes at the top, any small chips won't be seen.

Whatever sort of saw you use, you could also try putting masking tape along the line of the cut; this can help prevent chipping.

Bert

Bert Coules

If you put a bead of mastic along the join it will hide any slight chipping and will prevent water getting under the units when you wash the floor - it will also remove the need to be 100% accurate with the trimming (which may be very difficult!)

Reply to
gg1000

Use a table saw with the front side up. If you trim the top edge it probably won't be very visible anyway.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Use a circular saw, and cut from the *back* (or a table saw with the front side *up*). That way, the blade is cutting *into* the visible side - and is less likely to chip it.

Reply to
Set Square

Yup that works well. You could also use a power plane, which should leave both edges clean, but watch out at the ends (or better still plane into the centre from both sides).

Reply to
John Rumm

Thirded. A table saw is also good for ripping plinths down when your mate carelessly installs his kitchen units too low down !

Rgds Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Best way to eliminate chipping altogether is to firstly mark your cut line, then using a sharp stanley knife and straight edge cut through the laminate along the line. Then cut using a jig or circular saw if you wish, but I always use a nice sharp hand saw. Any chipping will stop at the knife cut line. Then you can fine trim with a plane if you are not accurate enough!

Proper job!

Slurp

Reply to
Slurp

Big router and trim bit to finish

Reply to
Badger

Are the plinths set in slightly, to leave a kickspace? If so, the top edge will only be visible to someone lying on the floor, or very nearly. Make sure that the cut edge goes at the top and any small chips won't be seen.