Bookcase Plinth

I'm looking at a bookcase design that has a platform constructed out of 2x4's, which is shimmed, and then the bookcase rests on top. The trim hides the plinth.

I'm not convinced of the utility of shimming the hidden plinth as opposed to just shimming the bookcase itself, then attaching the trim. If the platform is smaller than the perimeter of the bookcase, then the entire weight is supported by the bottom shelf, which isn't good. It really must be exactly the same dimensions as the bottom of the bookshelf and thus seems to add extra work without benefit.

Am I missing a potential benefit?

Thanks

Reply to
Greg Esres

It's easier to level the platform first. Typically only the front of the plinth is recessed. If the sides are supported by the bottom it'll be OK. Phil Brown

Reply to
Phil Brown

I like to do this when I'm building multiple unit built-ins and window seats. I can create a level base to install the boxes on, ala cabinet-style. My bases are strips of cabinet grade ply instead of

2x's, as I find the plywood more stable. I've never had to buy extra plywood to build the base, I always seem to have suitable leftovers, especially since the face veneer species doesn't really matter.

My ends line up with the outside uprights, the bottom shelf doesn't support the whole unit.

Reply to
B A R R Y

The load of a bookcase rests on the 2(?) sides. I like to tie the two sides together with an apron under the bottom shelf. An easy way to stabilize this plinth is to create a four sided box. I like to cut the bottom of the sides at a slight angle so that the bookcase has to lean back against the wall, this causes the plinth box to have a different front and back . I still like to pin the top of the bookcase to the wall by some method, but a slight lean helps to compensate for carpet tack strip and load dynamics. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Phil Brown wrote:

Reply to
Greg Esres

Barry wrote:

Reply to
Greg Esres

Why not just shim it that way?

Reply to
Greg Esres

and you would have some cross members to lie under each of

No. The long stringers carry the sides, as well as the shelf. There are a few crossmembers to prevent bowing.

Not if you're reasonably careful.

Reply to
B A R R Y