Why is the kitchen plinth always recessed?

I am looking at new kitchens at the moment and have noticed that they all have a recessed plinth.

Is this just a very common design feature? Or is it there for another reason? I did wonder whether it was for the ends of your feet while your standing at the workstop but mine didn't even go under the bench!

Regards, Rich

Reply to
Rich

If you have integrated appliances, the door is hinged not quite at the bottom. This means that the door attached to the front will actually retract inwards at the bottom. If the plinth is too far forward, the lip of the door will catch on on it. As few kitchen manufacturers want to sell kitchens incompatible with integrated appliances and they want to use standard specification parts, the plinths are recessed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Beer belly keeps the feet away, does it?

Sorry!

Reply to
Wanderer

It really is the hot silly season now

Reply to
Alex

I always assumed it was so that when standing at the sink or doing preparation at the work surface the woman's toes do'nt keep kicking the bottom of the units.

Reply to
robert

Because if the plinth went outwards you'd have to lean forwards to reach the sink, which would plainly be silly, and if went straight downwards it wouldn't actually be a plinth at all? So, the only remaining option is...

Speculatively, Ian

Reply to
Ian K

Thanks to those who replied. Wanderer - The beer belly sits nicely on the worktop thank you very much!

I tacked a strip of 22mm pine to the bottom of my units last night as a little experiment.

Both myself and my wife had no problems standing at the worktop making dinner. We didn't even kick the board once!

I have been looking at bespoke kitchens and a lot seem to have a plinth that sticks to the front of the units like skirting board. (It's probably not a plinth by then!)

Just need to find one that is not so expensive now!

Regards, Rich

Reply to
Rich