pedestal basin height - plinth

Why is is that most sinks and washbasins seem to have a standard height that is too low ? I'm average height (5'11 ish) , and with average length arms (shirts fit me) ! Anyway, I have decided my new pedestal basin needs a plinth (say 100mm high) under it to get to the desired height. The suite is white minimilist (according to the box). Bathroom is to be white tiled with mosaic border. Any ideas/designs for a stylish plinth that will not look like a bodge ? TIA, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It would seem like a pedestal basin is a bad choice if you want to use a non-standard height. How about a wall mounting one without a pedestal?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've already got it. And I like it. And I dont want to be cutting pipes into the wall. And I will be totally hiding the waste in the pedestal.

But am I the only one who thinks standard heights are often too low ? You should be able to reach the bottom of a sink without straining you back, should you not ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Or a vanity-style unit, inset into a worktop? No pipe issues there, and set it at what height you want. OK, you'd need to dump the existing sink and buy another, but you save the hassle of this plinth at least (which IMHO wouldn't look great however you do it - although I suppose if it were me I'd be looking at making it exactly skirting board height and running the skirting round it, to make it less noticeable).

Well I'm about the same height as you and yes I suppose most sinks are a bit lower than I'd like; however it's much easier for me to stoop a bit than for SWMBO and the kids to have to stand on a milk crate!

Also, bear in mind you might put off future purchasers of your house - and of course you do know that other than those purchased by single blokes, it's women who make every buying decision on every property sold...?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

On 26 Jun 2006 02:43:37 -0700, "sm_jamieson" had this to say:

Is there a "standard" height for a washbasin?

Mine's exactly 33" above the floor. It seems about right for me (5'10" or so).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I agree about sinks (both bathroom and kitchen) being too low. Even my wife (5'6") finds she has to stoop a bit to use them. When we re-do our bathroom later in the year we're going for a counter-top type sink so the counter can be at whatever comfortable height we desire.

Styx

Reply to
Styx

Not much help to you but in the old days when I was an Apprentice Plumber the saying was ' fit basins at 2'6" c*ck level' for obvious reasons.

Reply to
Bookworm

This would be in the days where outside toilets were the norm, then?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I think it's for plumbers' benifit, not yours, judging from what Trading Standards have secretly filmed...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Eurgh, how horrid. Do people do that? I shouldn't like to wash my face in a urinal.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes they did and still do. The lip of an old 'Belfast Pattern' Fireclay sink was fitted at this height too.

In the old days Plumbers used to cut out their own Toilets seats from a piece of plywood. Thats why Plumbers always used to wear Bowler Hats. They use the rim as a pattern to mark out the hole in the middle!

Reply to
Bookworm

What filthy pigs.

Plywood? You surprise me.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No, I think they are too low as well (but then again I am 6'3")! Having said that, they are not as low in practice as they seem to be when you look at them prior to installation.

I think they do it so that the taps and the soap fall naturally to hand without bending much, but then bend to plunge hands into the sink bowl.

Reply to
John Rumm

We put a washbasin in a standard vanitory unit (29") onto an 8" plinth. It's great. And we are both 5'6". When visitors come, they tend to say first "Gosh, the people before you must have been vey big" and then "Isn't it nice!"

It would be interesting to know what it does to the value or saleability of the house, but I'm not proposing to put that to the test.

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Any chance of a photo, or details of the design ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The message from Douglas de Lacey contains these words:

Wish I could get away with that. I'm 6'2" and the wife's 4'9". Makes design - er - interesting.

Reply to
Guy King

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:36:24 +0100, Guy King had this to say:

What you need is two washbasins side by side, but at different heights, a bit like the wall-mounted urinals in shop bogs.

Or an hydraulic rise 'n' fall platform in front of the basin.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Easy. Install a bidet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is the key. Many things are designed smaller than the average and at 6'5 that really annoys me.

I fitted a semi-countertop sink in my last place and it seems these are as standard higher than pedestal sinks.

Often I see pedestals on the floor with tiling around which doesn't help. I guess your plinth could be something made up from the same as the floor material? Or maybe something with a metal finish to match the taps?

Reply to
adder1969

I wonder if I could get / make / purchase a white china plinth to match the pedestal ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson