Best Rated threads in UK Do-It-Yourself Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Downstairs toilet conversion
We're thinking of converting a walk-in pantry off the kitchen into a downstairs toilet. In the belief that you can't have access to a toilet from a kitchen, the idea is to put a studded partition...
10
10

where rafters cross purlins
On a traditional cut roof, when the rafter joins the wall plate you cut a birdsmouth to give a good seat onto the wallplate. But where the rafters cross purlins, what is "good form" for the joints...
8
8

Air lock in main water pipe
We were having trouble getting water out of a large water tank and I'm told it may be because of an air lock. The tank and all pipes were drained because a visitor left a tap on for a couple of weeks...
11
11

Alarm Panel - Swap Transformer Live?
Hi all OK so I got a Texecom Excel panel earlier in the year and the transformer has started humming/buzzing loudly. The supplier has sent a replacement transformer for me to fit. The question is, can...
17
17

Pointing Accrington brickwork.
Part of the frontage of my 1930's semi is in Accrington brick up to the level of the sill of the front room bay window. The remainder of the frontage is rendered and painted white. The Accrington...
44
44

Temporary flexible waste pipe
Hi all, I'm renovating the kitchen, but working around the family at the same time (i.e. keeping the kitchen working whilst doing the work). The kitchen is large enough to be able to move the old bits...
7
7

bricklaying - using a string line
Doing my first bricklaying where the finish will matter - the brickwork for my extension. Currently just up to ground level, so I've had some practicing space ! Stretch was 5 metres. Using a string...
14
14

SDS chisels - sharpening
Couple of questions re SDS chisels. They don't seem especially 'sharp' from new, but I guess this is not required for masonry. After a short time they become blunt objects & I sharpen them with an...
5
5

Wylex NB MCB for Shower
Hi all, Will be helping my Dad fit a new electric shower in a few weeks. My Mum has made him go for the most powerful one she could find which is 10.5Kw. For this we will need to add a 45A breaker to...
13
13

Re-locating a ceiling pull cord switch
A quick question about fitting a ceiling pull cord switch (the type fitted in bathrooms) There is one in my bathroom, but I want to move it, along the wall a bit (1m). When deciding the new location...
5
5

Overcoming Condensation on Internal Stack Pipe
Live in top floor flat. Have removed excessive boxing around communal stack pipe (that goes through my flat from roof down to sewer) in order to make space for much needed cupboards. However, stack...
1
1

Tinting masonry paint.
The front of my house was painted a couple of years ago and is standing up pretty well. Should last another couple of years. But I've just removed the window boxes and the paint on the concrete sill...
2
2

Oh heck! Rat Trap gone missing
My neighbour reported seeing a rat go under our dividing fence near to where my shed is. I thought I should do something about it so I went to B&Q to look at the options. As my neighbours have cats I...
32
32

Gas boiler flames affected by wind
When my gas boiler is on and it's quite windy outside the flames are affected by the wind quite a bit - as if it's windy where the flames are yet as its an old type the inlet air comes from the house...
6
6

Should a sink outlet run into the rainwater/gutter system or into the toilet sewage pipe
The outley from my bathroom sink runs into rainwater guttering - is this wrong?
3
3

Wiring help for Centaurstat 7
I wish to replace a Satchwell TLM2253 with a Horstmann Centaurstat 7 for a conventional CH system (fully pumped with programmer and 3-port valve). The existing Satchwell stat (2253) has three wires...
2
2

Central Heating control - wire size
Hi all, I want to add an additional wire from CH controller (HW Off terminal) to the junction box by the boiler so that I can have the heating on without the hot water. At present there is nothing...
8
8

Leak from washing machine; coming from hole in drum casing; photos!
Hi all I have an 7-8 year old Indesit washer / dryer. On Saturday, on filling for a washing cycle, it started to leak, from the underside of the machine. Further investigation revealed it was coming...
3
3

joining felt backed carpet
I had allied carpets round to measure for new carpets in a flat that I will be letting out soon.he reckoned that to avoid having to use 5m wide carpet that i'd have to have a join in the living room...
2
2

combi boiler intermittently misfiring
Hi gavin, the common fault is the air pressure switch. Check the ventures and pipes for scale or debris hope you sort it pete
2
2