Best Rated threads in UK Do-It-Yourself Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

replacing flex on a steam iron
My Moulinex Chronomate 50 needs the braided flex replaced - I have some but cannot work out how to open the thing. There are no obvious screws or fixi ngs. I pushed in a tab-button below the handle,...
10
10

fireback and flue throat question
Hi - a quick question about throat width for an open fireplace, which according to regs (doc J) should be 10-12cm. I'm using a 22" wide fireback, for which unfortunately nobody seems to sell a...

Using foam offcuts for insulation?
I have many binbags and boxes of kingspan offcuts and expanding foam trimmings, Rather than bin them could I use them for insulation under floors? But loosefill insulation comes in round granules,...
8
8

Screws for fixing corrugated asbestos to timber joists?
Good day... Can anyone advise me on the type of screws to use for fixing down corrugated asbestos to timber roof joists? The asbestos has large 'waves' (approx 5" from peak to peak). I'd like the job...
18
18

Sonic watchman oil gauge?
Today a tanker arrived as arranged, and said that they had put 1000 liters of oil in my tank. With a delivery printout to prove it. 4 hours later the remote oil gauge is reporting that the tank is...
36
36

Adding soil pipe elbow rodding point
The elbow is half embedded in the wall and digging it out and removing the elbow is likely to pull the horizontal run of pipework out with it. The current problem, though, is I can't find anybody...
4
4

RCD tripped when cutting cable with breaker off
Hi, As we decorate each room I swap the old light switches, pendants & sockets for modern ones. I was replacing a dual gang socket yesterday and had switched off the circuit breaker for that ring and...
7
7

Nailing floorboards
Today I bought some cut floor brad nails. The second one split a floorboard. The tips are blunt. So should I drill pilot holes in the floorboards? Is a heavy hammer or a light one best? Any other tips...
12
12

Car trouble, won't start, goes tick-tick-tick-tick instead.
tick-tick is *usually* the starter solonoid failing to engage. On old cars, the solonoid operated relay contacts and the starter was engaged to the flywheel with a drive cog on a splined shaft that...
18
18

Voltage test pen and light switch screws
I've successfully fitted a dimmer switch. I've used a small voltage test pen to "direct test" the face plate screws on other light switches - I've noticed that some of the screws return a direct test...
5
5

Building a DIY solar heater for the garage
There's no heating in the garage, but there is damp. On the other hand, it does have a nice large south-facing roof, so I want to have a go a building a solar heater. I have in mind a wooden frame,...
40
40

Sticking radiator thermostat
I have a valve sticking on one of my radiators. It comes on when called but does not go off (at least we are warm :-) ) I have swapped the actual heat sensor part with another radiator to no effect....
14
14

how deep do I need to plant a 4m high pole?
I would suggest finding a suitable sleeve to hammer into the ground flush (or concrete in the ground) into which you slot the longer pole. I use the ground socket spikes for clothes airers for 3 metre...
32
32

How to secure a window-box?
What is the best way to make sure a window-box does not blow down in a gale?
7
7

Electric Oven has melted ready meal container melted on?
Hi all, I have a 9 month old "Leisure" double electric oven. I was using the top smaller oven and thought the only element was at the top, and put a ready meal plastic tray on the bottom of the oven...
2
2

Central Heating Expansion Tank Keeps filling Itself!
OK, I have an old (25 years plus) semi-gravity gas fired central heating system. In the loft are the usual cold water storage tank and heating system expansion tank. The overflows for the 2 tanks are...
24
24

Best 1/2" router?
I'm in the market for a new 1/2" router and not sure what to get. Firstly it'll be used to joint some kitchen worktops. After that, it'll go in a router table. I have a 1/4" Power Devil which I...
10
10

Bending copper pipe - it creased
First go with my new pipe benders. Bent 22mm copper 90deg and when I looked at the finished job, there are a few creases in the inside of the radius. Will this be a problem? The bend will be straight...
30
30

What drill speed for a diamond core drill
Hi. I've hired a drill (Metabo BDE 1100) and 127mm diamond core drill. The drill has 2 speed settings. The handbook says the fast setting gives 0-1200rpm and the slow setting gives 0-640rpm. Does...
7
7

Laying slabs in front garden using mortar?
I have a very small front garden in my house (100yrs old terrace). The area is about 4sq meters and I want to cover it with paving slabs. Currenty it is just soil. One person has offerd to to do the...
10
10