replacing flex on a steam iron

My Moulinex Chronomate 50 needs the braided flex replaced - I have some but cannot work out how to open the thing. There are no obvious screws or fixi ngs. I pushed in a tab-button below the handle, and it stayed pushed in, bu t I have no idea where to go now. Is it possible the thing is glued togethe r?

Reply to
Peter

If this has a label on the handle end, close to the cord entry, run your thumb over it firmly. You may find screws concealed beneath the label. Try holding the tab-button pressed and work around with a blade. Perhaps gummed after prolonged use. Otherwise somewhere there will be a 'plastic' push-in cover secured by barbed prongs. They are a bastard to get free. Probing with a small screwdriver results in damage. Probing with feeler gauge sometimes helps. HTH, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Yes, and if its anything like a neighbours Phillips one, when you get into the guts, you find the cable is riveted to the element so you can't change it. I do despair with moderns stuff. Toasters are another Bain of mine in this regard. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've done little electrical rivets with pliers before. Or for unheated joints fitted a small nut & bolt.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

ut cannot work out how to open the thing. There are no obvious screws or fi xings. I pushed in a tab-button below the handle, and it stayed pushed in, but I have no idea where to go now. Is it possible the thing is glued toget her?

Thanks for suggestions, however no screws found. Might have to give up...

Reply to
Peter

Angle grinder.

No but seriously, if you are sufficiently determined not to be beaten by this sillyness you might try some judicious cutting away of the handle with a junior hacksaw, multitool, or stanley knife (careful!). The worst you can do is make it irreparable and it is dead now as it is. Whilst many thermoplastics dont't glue well you can do a lot of repairing with car body filler, epoxy, and PVC tape.

Reply to
newshound

Cable ties are good especially if you think you might want to get into the thing again.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Some have a little round plug like thing with a small round bit of plastic in the centre which you push in and then can prise the plug out which lets you remove a bit of the handle to get at some screws.

Reply to
F Murtz

Can you pull off the operating knob and reveal screws beneath?

Reply to
Dave W

Maybe you could find a Youtube that explains the procedure, like this one where the author never bothered to name the brand of iron

MattyF

I suspect though that the bigger stumbling block might be crimping the new electrical connections as they're unlikely to be soldered or screw terminals. Time for a new iron I reckon!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+