Steam Iron Flex

The flex on our old iron is past its' best and needs replacing. I've overcome the "security" screw, but cannot find a source for the replacement flex. This stuff used to be easily obtainable but seems to have vanished now (elf 'n' safety, no doubt). I did find a couple of places on the web who'll sell me a replacment cord complete with plug, but they both want around 7 UKP + P&P which makes it uneconomical as new irons can be had for not much more than this. The iron is perfectly sound and I'm loath to contribute to the throw- away society unless I really have to. Can anybody suggest a source of the proper flex or alternatively suggest an alternative. Apart from the lack of flexibility, could I just use ordinary PVC covered flex?

John M

Reply to
John Miller

Look at Ebay item no.'s 120450588633 and 120450589742.

Reply to
Andy Wade

TLC et al, quite easily. Heat resistant flex (immersion heaters for one) and it will be silicone insulation or similar for heat resistance, rather than cotton braid covered.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Silicone heat resistant flex doesn't work well on irons, because it won't slide over the clothes you're ironing without rucking them up on the board, making ironing more difficult. The cotten covered flex is no longer used on toasters and other hot appliances, but is still used for irons for this reason.

(Immersion heater flex would be unnecessarily bulky too.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Can you still get those wire supports that fit to the ironing board to keep the flex well out of the way ?

-- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

Amazing isn't it. I looked on Ebay but obviously didn't get the search description right. Thanks.

John

Reply to
John Miller