Tefal steam generator iron repair

When all else fails, ask uk.d-i-y .........

The Management has asked me to repair a Tefal Express model 2911 steam generator iron for one of her friends. The problem is that the fabric sheath which normally encloses the mains cable and steam tube between the base unit and the iron has lost its anchor point at the iron end and has shrunk back, exposing the mains flex and steam tube for a distance of about

15 inches. In itself this would not be a great problem, but the user seems to have abraded the loose mains flex, wearing through both the outer sheath and the inner insulation on the wires exposing the copper conductors. Clearly, this is very dangerous and the flex must be replaced.

Unfortunately, after several unproductive hours smurfing the Interweb I am unable to find any listing for either this cable, or the complete sheathed cable/tube assembly, on any website selling Tefal spares, and the only

0.75mm 4-core heat resisting cable rated to 90 degrees Centigrade I can find comes with a white sheath, making me suspect that it's PVC rather than the black synthetic rubber of the original, on a 50 metre drum at a cost of nearly twenty pounds.

Please does anyone know where I could purchase just a few metres of said cable? I live in Hatfield, Hertfordshire.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

No idea. Exactly the same thing has happened to mine. Let us know if you find a spare please, I may need one shortly.

Reply to
Aidan

be suitable replacement flex. Google-uk iron flex per

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thanks Ian, but it must be 4-core ...

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

Have you tried a) Tefal - after all, the bloody manufacturer should have the spares or b)

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Yes. The Tefal site bounces you off somewhere else for spares ...

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

I am in the trade, but found it very hard to buy a few metres of non-kink flex. I found these guys in Bristol and bought 2 mteres off the reel of 3 core non-kink. i know you need 4 core, but they may be able to help, give them a ring

DES 01752 661634

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

Thanks for that, Dave. Worth a try, I guess.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

After much searching, 10 metres ordered on line from Alert Electrical. It has PVC rather than rubber insulation but it's rated for 90 deg. like the original, so should do the job ok (I hope!)

Reply to
Mike Faithfull