Tefal Aquaspeed 5370 steam iron

How the hell do you get one opened up?

I think the thermostat is playing up and decided to have a look with an eye to either cleaning it up or even replacing it.

I managed to remove the tail - two screws. Then another two screws, the dark blue handle comes off. Which leaves the next step to contemplate - and fail at!

I simply cannot see how to get any further. The "bit in the middle" is clearly a bit loose but am not seeing what I need to do.

For now, have re-assembled.

Wish I had taken a photo or two - and will do if needed.

Reply to
polygonum

Irons can be a bit of a bastard to open - they come up at repair events often. The challenge is to get them opened in such a way that they can be closed again safely (i.e. without having broken anything).

I don't memorise models, but common are screws hidden under labels, and a screw hidden under the front of the handle, which can only be seen when you've worked out how to get the cover off the area where the steam control buttons are (without breaking it).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

When I was really quite young, I could disassemble and re-assemble our old Hoover steam iron in very little time. I think it was because my mother always let the mains flex twist and end up "bobbling" - so it needed all too frequent replacement.

They don't make them like that any more... :-)

Reply to
polygonum

And that's the bottom line isn't it. I've stripped lots of 'older stuff' and it actually looks like it was 'designed' to be taken to pieces and serviced and even if it wasn't, one wasn't actually prevented from doing so by hidden screws, one-way clips or even security screws.

I think along with energy ratings, equipment should also have a serviceability rating ... but how many people (outside of here) would take any notice of that? ;-(

Even something as big and expensive are bought because they 'look good', with no regard to *any* other factor. But then, how often do you see people with a sofa on the roof-rack, or anything 'substantial' for that matter?

I've even had bikers question why I would tow a camping trailer behind my motorbike ... because *their* use / understanding of motorbikes are simply for speed and performance. Because I've never been interested in speed or (sports) performance and the trailers we use are specifically designed to be towed behind motorbikes and therefore you aren't actually restricted by much as it's slightly narrower than my touring luggage so I can still filter and my bike has more than enough power that the (functional) performance isn't really affected either.

'Vehicles' for me (us) have always / only been about getting us and our stuff from A to B and looking after them was part of that. Not sure that is the case in general these days.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Most Tefal stuff seems to be rivetted. I had a toaster once where the cable needed to be replaced. It seems as if you had to destroy it to get inside. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Some irons cost a fortune these days. I guess once market saturation happens then a manufacturer will add a few features (for an inflated price) hoping buyers trade up from their perfectly good irons.

Reply to
pamela

I think I've always been able to get into the case non-destructively just using tools (often needed a security bit of some type).

However, most now assemble and then spot-weld the connections to the elements, so they aren't intended to be replacable. There are some notable exceptions, such as some Dualit (sp?) ones.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel