Screws for fixing corrugated asbestos to timber joists?

Good day...

Can anyone advise me on the type of screws to use for fixing down corrugated asbestos to timber roof joists? The asbestos has large 'waves' (approx 5" from peak to peak). I'd like the job to last 30 years or more. I live in an are where gale-force winds are common. Should I use stainless steel? What thickness should they be and how far should they penetrate the timber? I'm thinking that something with a hexagonal head would make more sense that a pozi-drive head. Would you agree? What kind of rain-proof washers should I use?

Anyone suggest an online source?

Aside from stainless, in Jewsons, I've seen some green-coated hex-headed screws designed for timber decking, but I'm not sure how rust-proof they really are.

Many thanks,

Al Shahadie

What's this then? A covered bridge? Trip-trap. Trip-trap.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

In my experience after about five years outdoors the 'green' coated coach bolts that Screwfix and Wickes sell are holding up very well. Zero visible degradation anywhere.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Real asbestos lasts much beyond 30yrs, modern equivalents probably will too= . So I'd go stainless, with a plastic washer - rubber tends not to last tha= t long. Also put the screws through the peaks, not the troughs, to minimise= water ingress and help direct what does get in away from the timber.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

Google TEK screws and filter with fibre cement sheet fixings.

You seem to have a 130mm pitch sheet which is 36mm high. Purlins should be 1275 max. apart.

You can easily get coloured plastic caps to fit over the exposed hex screw head. There should be a variant with a pre-fitted neoprene washer to seal the hole in the sheet ridge.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

down corrugated asbestos to timber roof joists? The asbestos has large 'wav= es' (approx 5" from peak to peak). I'd like the job to last 30 years or mor= e. I live in an are where gale-force winds are common. Should I use stainle= ss steel? What thickness should they be and how far should they penetrate t= he timber? I'm thinking that something with a hexagonal head would make mor= e sense that a pozi-drive head. Would you agree? What kind of rain-proof wa= shers should I use? Anyone suggest an online source? Aside from stainless, = in Jewsons, I've seen some green-coated hex-headed screws designed for timb= er decking, but I'm not sure how rust-proof they really are. Many thanks, A

6" galvernised drive screws with a spat washer for big six .
Reply to
Kipper at sea

There are special screws (and nails) with square curved washers made for the purpose. They go into the crest of the sheets BTW You will get them from where ever the sheet came from. BTW I hope it is not asbestos. Fitting asbestos is not good. If they are new the will be fibre cement not asbestos cement.

Reply to
harry

glass fibre rather than asbestos fibre. Asbestos cement sheet's ok if its n= ot disintegrating.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

harry wrote in news:bc1d6e72-9f4a-4a09-8b83- snipped-for-privacy@s14g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

Thanks; the asbestos roof has existed for many years. I am just reinforcing it. Thanks for the info on the diamond curved washers.

Al Shahadie

Kipper at sea wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Thank you. Those terms are helping me seach out suitable items. A

Reply to
Al Shahadie

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Thanks.. Yes, my fist inclination was to go for the plastic washers... But then, I remembered how short-lived many plastics can be when exposed to sunlight. For example, I bought a plastic sprinkler hose for my garden last spring, (which I assumed would be made of a plastic fit for purpose) and by the end of one summer, it turned so brittle that it broke whenever flexed.

Yes, rubber is of course subject to perishing. I think neoprene lasts much longer outdoors, doesn't it?

Al Shahadie

Tim Lamb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk:

That is helpful - thank you. Thanks also to the other responees.

Al Shahadie

Tim Lamb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk:

I just went and checked; The ridges are 6" from peak to peak, and the height is 2"..

Thanks, A

Reply to
Al Shahadie

In message , Al Shahadie writes

Ah! In that case search on *big six roof sheeting*. You will need 100mm fixings.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk:

Thanks. 'Kipper' suggests 6" somewhere in this thread. Perhaps somewhere between 4" and 6" will do, depending on how many of the things I am prepared to buy (and screw in), per sheet... At least the asbestos has some weight to it, which I guess reduces the chance of it lifting off in a storm.

Al Shahadie

Some do, some don't.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

down corrugated asbestos to timber roof joists? The asbestos has large 'wav= es' (approx 5" from peak to peak). I'd like the job to last 30 years or mor= e. I live in an are where gale-force winds are common. Should I use stainle= ss steel? What thickness should they be and how far should they penetrate t= he timber? I'm thinking that something with a hexagonal head would make mor= e sense that a pozi-drive head. Would you agree? What kind of rain-proof wa= shers should I use? Anyone suggest an online source? Aside from stainless, = in Jewsons, I've seen some green-coated hex-headed screws designed for timb= er decking, but I'm not sure how rust-proof they really are. Many thanks, A

Just to throw a bit more confusion into the subject, there are four types o= f asbestos or as its known now as fibre cement sheet, Standard three, Big s= ix, Super Six and Trafford Tile. Standard three use 4" drive screws, Big si= x and Trafford Tile use 6" drive screws and Super Six use 8" drive screws.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Drive screws are a one way trip unless you care to angle grind the heads off.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

r at sea writes >On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:=

39:00 AM UTC+1, Al Shahadie wrote: >> Good day... Can anyone advise me on t= he type of screws to use for >>fixing down corrugated asbestos to timber ro= of joists? The asbestos >>has large 'waves' (approx 5" from peak to peak). = I'd like the job to >>last 30 years or more. I live in an are where gale-fo= rce winds are >>common. Should I use stainless steel? What thickness should= they be >>and how far should they penetrate the timber? I'm thinking that =

head. Would you agree? What kind of rain-proof washers >>should I use? Any= one suggest an online source? Aside from stainless, >>in Jewsons, I've seen= some green-coated hex-headed screws designed for >>timber decking, but I'm= not sure how rust-proof they really are. Many thanks, A > >Just to throw a= bit more confusion into the subject, there are four >types of asbestos or = as its known now as fibre cement sheet, Standard >three, Big six, Super Six= and Trafford Tile. Standard three use 4" >drive screws, Big six and Traffo= rd Tile use 6" drive screws and Super >Six use 8" drive screws. Drive screw= s are a one way trip unless you care to angle grind the heads off. -- Tim L= amb

The drive screw that were used for fixing on sheets to timber perlins were = galv twisted with a point at the bottom and a domed top. the prociger was t= o drill a 1/4" hoThe drive screw that was used for fixing sheets to timber = perlins was galv thick nail with a course twisted sank with a point at the = bottom and a domed top. The process was to drill a 1/4" hole through the to= p of the roll, thread a plastic spat or doughty washer onto the screw, tap = the screw through the drilled hole and knock the screw into the timber perl= ins. The screw twist into the timber as its being driven in. The only way t= o release the screw is by using a pair of round-jawed mole grips clamped ro= und the head of the screw and turning it anti clockwise. The modern fixing = screws are entirely different and come with attach washers and a hexagon he= adle through the top of the roll, thread a plastic spat or doughty onto the= screw, thread the screw through the drilled hole and knock the screw into = the timber perlins. The screw twist into the timber as its being driven int= o the timber. The only way to release the screw is by using a pair of mole = grips clamped round the head of the screw and twisting it anti clockwise. T= he modern fixing screws are entirly different and come with attacht washers= and a hexgan head.

Reply to
Kipper at sea