Mini-digger digging parallel to wall

Hi all,

I have hired a 3ton mechanical digger before, but with a new job at the house I have to dig close and parallel to a wall. Is there a way of angling the arm and digging in a kind of 45deg approach to the wall, or do I need a special type of digger.

Yes, I know this is a dumb question.

Kind Regards,

Derek.

Reply to
Derek

In article , Derek writes

The mini digger that was used on our foundations could be nosed up to a wall with the arm at right angles to the direction of travel, and then a trench dug sideways as it were. Of course you had to keep backing off and nosing into the wall a few feet further on.

J.

Reply to
John Rouse

In message , Derek writes

Just watch out for fibre-optic cables !

Reply to
geoff

I had a 3 tonne mini last week.

On mine the arm swiveled at the base, so you could drive straight at the wall, then swivel the arm to 90 deg from the machine, and dig. This is *MUCH* more confusing to operate, but you can do it at different angles. I got my trence right next to the wall. What you do need to watch is your swing as you turn.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Yeah, only the copper ones are worth anything as scrap.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

But just think of the fibre optic light sets you could make ...

Reply to
geoff

Single-mode fibers don't work well. The core is so narrow that you see little light from the end even if the other is pointed at the sun

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Put reality aside, just for a moment, please

Reply to
geoff

Just make sure you don't dig up the foundations of the wall as well

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

No. its not.

In general all diggers have in addition to total body rotate, about +-

80 degrees on the arm itself.

If you get the digger as close to the wall as possible, tracks parallel to wall, then angle the bucket away from the wall, and swing the cab towards it, you can get ALMOST a right in paralell pull. Usually good enough, beacause most walls have ragged foundations below ground anyway.

Watch out for bashing the wall. Diggers take a but of time to get used to. It will be a slow process that close in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I know. I was just pointing out something that surprised me the first time I tried it, as I was intending to do the above with some old comms cable.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hi,

I've used diggers in the past which had the digging arm mounted on a rail which allowed you to move it to one side of the machine or the other just for this purpose. I've only seen this on wheeled diggers and not tracked.

A quick look on jcb.co.uk and I can see a one for sale which has exactly what I am talking about. The correct term for this type of digger is a backhoe loader - I live & learn. Check out the pics at

might also have a problem if space is an issue as these machines are usually quite big.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Campbell