Best Rated threads in UK Do-It-Yourself Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Super-high performance windows versus trickle vents - what do they do in Scandinavia ?
As I understand, typical UK domestic windows have trickle vents to try to a llow warm, damp air to escape a room (and cold, dry air to enter) to avoid or reduce condensation on the windows. Now what I...
18
18

Anyone - Surplus Sunvic SDM 1901 actuators
Still looking for one of these please, if any of you CH engineers might happen to remove one, whilst swapping to perhaps a combi system... I have altered my heating system from using a SD 2701 (for...

NatWest - home card reader?
Yesterday evening, I decided to make a transfer from my NatWest account, to a TSB account, via online banking. A transfer I have never made before, so it involved setting up a 'new recipient'. I...
132
132

Howdens nonsense
I'm now too old and unfit to bother with the aggro of fitting my own kitchen to save a couple of grand So I am seeking the help of a professional fitter to do it And (apart from the shops selling...
32
32

Geberit AquaClean 8000plus Care toilet Constant running/dripping
Hi guys n gals. I own a Geberit AquaClean 8000plus Care toilet (with cistern - non wall hung) its been fantastic!! - Until recently.. It has developed a constant drip/run in to the toilet pan. I have...
3
3

Shower pump flow delay
Any significant item that gets uninstalled after a day is surely a tale worth telling! Is there a short version of the story? :)
9
9

Gap between sill and PVC window
Is this a horizontal gap? When just filling (rather than bonding) I've used 'Decorators filler' because it can be wiped with a damp cloth. Me too, unless running a bead the entire length etc. Because...
13
13

Can I just disconnect the MR16 GU5.3 halogen downlighters and leave the bulbs in situ?
Suppose I decided to get rid of the halogen downlighters altogether. Can I just disconnect them? That is, remove the spring ring, pull the connector off the bulb, then put the bulb and spring ring...
6
6

Sticking rubber patch to car mat
As the title suggets - I've been given a spare mat for my car - usual black carpet-like stuff, obviously synthetic but not sure what but it's got a hole in it where the heel rests. I've got a bit of...
8
8

removing modern GU10 bulbs
I have just fitted a four bulb bar that came with four bulbs. Sadly the light generated would be more than adequate - for a dog kennel. I had a stock of "50w" equivalents. I removed one of original...
20
20

Kitchen sink mixer tap drips - can it be fixed?
HI Folks We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping. It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate...
24
24

Hall, stairs and landing light switches
We currently have a light at the top of the stairs (on the upstairs lighting circuit, switched from upstairs and downstairs) and a light at the bottom (on the downstairs lighting circuit) switched...
16
16

Scanning negatives (boots? Jessops?)
Hi All, We need to get some 35mm negatives into the digital domain in a hurry (Fath er in law?s funeral coming up!) Either operating a machine ourselve s, or having it done. I assume it?s possible to...
14
14

Help, central heating packed in.
Its my neighbours so trying to help. Vokera compact 25A,sealed system I think. Still gets hot water if turned to hot water only and rads off. Fault is A01 ignition failure,flame not sensed, internal...
14
14

Freezing plastic pipe?
I'll search again for the stopcock, but it looks as though it may be simpler just to freeze the pipe for the short time it takes to add an inline valve to the end. The trouble is that I have only ever...
15
15

Neighbour has dug up the alleyway between our houses
My neighbour has dug up the alleyway between our houses and says it is for a water supply direct to his house - he had not approached me prior - not only do I now have no access to the back but am...
4
4

Wiring immersion heater
Wiring immersion heater - how important is it to use special heat resistant flex? Also, will 1.5mm2 do for a length of just over 1m in open air, or is 2.5mm2 required?
18
18

Glow worm ultimate 40ff no lights at pcb
My glow worm ultimate 40ff stopped working this morning. There are no lights illuminated at the pcb! I thumped the bottom of the pcb and it fired up but only worked for about 20 mins. Now wont work at...
2
2

Patchy ceiling - overboard, lining paper, or ???
Just started stripping the anaglypta paper from walls and ceiling in the first room we're tackling. The stuff on the walls is coming off reasonably OK but underneath is some painted 1930/1940s paper...
5
5

Distance from wood burner heat source, electrical wiring.
Several years down the line I am looking again at installing a small wood burning stove in the Mother of All Sheds. The fireplace area is all there as planned. The flue will go up through the tin...
8
8