Bell-push rating

(Sorry for inline answers, Brian.)

"Never!" Luddites of the world unite!

That would require that I had some kind of 'smart' 'phone to see who was there, though. Not happening. Besides, that's what the new yet-to-be-installed CCTV system is for.

This one is a real bell, you know, one of those metal dome things with an oscillating hammer? It makes the whole wooden wall vibrate when powered by the transformer's 12 volts! Chimes are so 20th Century!

As I said, I think I will just reinstall it as-was once the new mud room is built. But thanks for thoughts.

Reply to
Davey

You have a mud room? Do you have a breakfast room? Does your bedroom have a dressing room attached?

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes. No. Yes. And?

In fact the mud room is usually called 'The Vestibool', which is what our Suffolk gardener used to call it when he was alive. He was a survivor of the Burma Railway, and only had one arm, the other having been chopped off above the elbow in the camp to stop gangrene eating away the rest of the arm. Laurens van der Post was a fellow prisoner, remembered by our gardener as being instrumental in understanding and explaining the Japanese Prison Camp psyche and helping to mitigate their punishments.

Reply to
Davey

Hmmm...

Mud room seems a US term for a second house entrance, typically not as posh as the front reserved for guests.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I have certainly heard it used here in the UK, it might depend on the area and how 'country' it is. It is the best expression of the function of the room.

Reply to
Davey

See also: Boot Room.

Reply to