Barclays Rant

Plenty of home users disable the screenlock password to <cr> or qwerty.

Come to that I have known senior managers who should know better have their password on a postit attached to the side of their screen!

One of the cleverer recent scams involved stealing both and setting up a new phone to be the master by using the OTP that flashes up on some mobiles by default if the bank's preamble isn't long enough to hide it.

Once they have done that they can look up your bank card PIN using the app on the newly registered phone. You & Yours did a piece on it recently. There was another good one today too criminals putting fake QR codes over the ones on carparks, pub tables and EV charger points that redirect to a look alike site and steal your credentials.

The browser password store should be reasonably hard encrypted. Keyboard sniffing by malware is much more of a risk (although again there are tools to mitigate against that possibility).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Read my post again. My computer doesn't (and can't) remember my actual password. Would be a pretty crappy banking system that allowed it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

These are all excellent reasons for not having a smart phone.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Only if you are an antediluvian Luddite. A smart phone can be configured to be safe but unfortunately that is not the default. Ease of use has a very bad habit of trumping security in most people's eyes.

Reply to
Martin Brown

How can it be made proof against a fake QR code and associated fake website?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have to use mine for every login to the site. I prefer it that way.

Reply to
Scott

I am suggesting that there are people who do not set the PC to lock after x minutes of inactivity.

With mine the PINsentry device fulfils the role instead (and this is the topic of the debate).

I don't think this would be viewed as quite the same level of negligence.

Reply to
Scott

Read my post again. I was simply agreeing with Martin, making no comment on your post. .

Reply to
Scott

I'm pretty sure mine was done using the PIN. They wouldn't let me do it contactless. It was a posh car costing more than £100 :-)

Reply to
Scott

Same here.

Reply to
wasbit

Fairy nuff. But Barclays give you the choice of three different ways here.

And I'd say my 8 digit pass word very much more difficult to work out than a 4 digit pin.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No way I'd give out my PIN over the phone for anything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

But that's not how it works. The debit card goes into the PINsentry machine then you enter the four digit PIN and the PINsentry machine generates a new eight digit code each time.

Reply to
Scott

And any pinsentry machine works. So if they've found your debit card and have one, all they have to guess is the PIN.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It wasn't over the phone. I inserted the card into a card-reader followed by the PIN. It was the same process as used in a supermarket, except the sum involved was higher.

My point was that I believe there is no upper limit for a debit card as long as funds are available in the current account.

Reply to
Scott

Within I think three attempts. If you could do that, your time would be better spent at Paddy Power.

Reply to
Scott

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Scott snipped-for-privacy@gefion.myzen.co.uk> writes

Umm. I think I was limited to £50k per transaction when I was dispersing money from a house sale. Barclays.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Except that an unusual large payment is likely to be blocked until you confirm its validity.

20 years ago, I had a payment for our wedding flowers blocked. I paid with another card and it was only when I got home that the bank contacted me.
Reply to
SteveW

Which is why I needed to phone my bank to get the payment to go through..

Reply to
charles

Yes, I see there is an overall daily payment limit:

's%20a%20maximum%20limit%20for,and%20Business%20it's%20%C2%A3100%2C000However, I think my point remains valid - no specific limit for the debit card itself. It follows the linked current account.

Reply to
Scott