Barclays Rant

Oh so its borked its own website AGAIN I may have to find a bank that actually works. Trouble is none of them do.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's nothing wrong with the Barclays website. I have never tried the app.

Reply to
Scott

Still annoying that it defaults to "App" when I always use the PINsentry. And this is on my laptop. I don't know if it will run any "app". Would I use the Google one or the Apple one? Whatever happened to "programs"?

On smartphones/tablets, why use "apps" when you can use a website requiring no downloading/installation which uses storage space?

Why download a different "app" for every radio station when you can access them all with one? (I've got one called Radioplayer which accesses all of them including Internet stations.)

Similarly, why download separate "apps" for every online store? a well designed website is as good, and a lot less hassle.

Reply to
Max Demian

Works OK here with Firefox - and did quite a bit of banking on Wednesday.

If only I could stop the phone version continually telling me I have to make it the default before I can swipe and pay. Despite having changed nothing between times.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Err, the Barclays one; but you'd have to have an android emulator if you want to run it on a laptop, and given the Barclays app refuses to run on rooted phones, it would be no surprise if it similarly refuses to run inside an emulator.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I use the original method. Membership number and passcode number which Firefox remembers. Then the drop down digit password.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The website is horrible now. The layout of the transactions is nothing like a bank statement. And you used to be able to sort them in ascending date order.

Reply to
Max Demian

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Me also, although I don't let Firefox get involved with passcodes. Currently they either want two factor authentication by text or numbers from my card.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

From past discussions, your barclays "profile" seems to be different to most other people's, maybe it depends when you enrolled for online banking?

First I get a choice of surname + membership number (never remember it) surname + debit card number (it changes every few years) surname + sortcode + account number (seared into my brain for 40+ years)

Then I get choice of pinsentry device barclays phone app

But I never see a "dropdown digit password"

Reply to
Andy Burns

On a related issue - I don't do online banking but I do use my Barclays debit card to pay for things online. Recently some of my payments were not accepted by the bank with no reason given, but I found I could make a number of payments of £100 until the total required was reached.

I went into the bank to ask if they could increase the limit. They told me that they had recently introduced 2FA for transactions. It turned out that as I had never banked online they didn't know my email address or mobile phone number, so I never got any message saying they'd sent me a link for me to confirm the payment.

I gave them both items so I'm hoping I can pay my next electricity bill with one payment. However they sent me a marketing email which I promptly unsubscribed from.

Reply to
Dave W

Because otherwise you wouldn't be able to do all that stuff while walking down the street, bumping into people at the same time.

It's called multitasking, innit !

bb

Reply to
billy bookcase

I'm surprised if they are letting any online transactions through now without at least a Verified by Visa challenge and more likely a 2FA text to a mobile phone. Been like that for quite a while.

The odd small payment sometimes goes through on the nod unchallenged to somewhere that I spend quite regularly. Anything new requires 2FA and that can be a problem since txts can take >15 minutes to arrive here. I sometimes end up waving my phone in the air at the top of the garden to try and receive the damn txt before the website times out!

Odd that they didn't send you a letter about 2FA becoming enabled then.

You can opt out of them. Most emails and phone calls from banks are trying to sell you something for their benefit *not* yours. Their cold calls annoy the hell out of me by demanding that I prove who I am. (we deadlock at that point)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Get a VOIP number from such as Andrews and Arnold, you can get them with 07xxx numbers. Configure it to send SMS messages it receives to your E-Mail, then there's no further need for your actual mobile phone to be involved at all.

Reply to
Chris Green

I find I rarely get a challenge, the VbV interstitial pops up and goes away again, I recently bought a couple of laptops and thought that might trigger the nth degree, but it just needed a reply code.

I'm also surprised they allow online debit card use without the Strong Customer Authentication being enforced.

Andy Burns

My bank gives me the option of using a non mobile phone, and a robot speaks the code. I have VoIP so that is fine.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Websites and apps both require/use an Internet connection.

Reply to
Max Demian

Could it be to do with the wonderful Linux you push here so often?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Nor me. I get the same choice of initial ID together with my Surname. I remember the 12 digit membership number because it is a sequence of 3 historic 4 digit integrated circuit chip numbers that I used daily !.

Reply to
Andrew

Sorry - not drop down. But boxes you enter two digits from your memorable word. I'd guess a way of stopping them being captured?

It's the easiest way to log on here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Presumably, but I don't get that, just a pair of four digit fields to enter the code generated by the phone or calculator thing, no memorable word.

Reply to
Andy Burns