Just wondering... I've removed an old board that was covering a
fireplace in my flat. On the front of the chimney breast, underneath
about 6 layers of old wallpaper, I've exposed a small corner of a quite
soft, crumbly, dark grey material. I don't know how far in it goes,
because I stopped stripping the paper when I saw it.
Any possibility this contains asbestos? The flats were built in the
40's or 50's (I think), so the timing could be right.
More to the point, how do I get it checked out?
Thanks for any advice!
Put a mask on, rip it out, put it in a black plastic bag and chuck it in
the bin, or bury it.
One exposure once won't kill you./
Asbestos- especailly teh sort normally used - is not really dangerous.
Unless you wok in a factory full of the stuff as dust.
Think cigarettes. Walking past someone smoking in a room won't kill you.
Other good precautions are to soak it with water / washing up liquid and only
handle it wet, or spray with dilute unibond and allow to dry. To be a really
good boy, double bag in strong poly bags (not flimsy bin liners). Phone your
local tip and see if they take it: if they do, they will have a special skip.
I'm sure the are other cases.
Asbestos is not a cumulative poison, all it takes is one fibre and a bit
of bad luck.
Of course persistent exposure increases the likelihood of the disease
occurring because you ingest many more fibres.
this is unlike say smoking where the cumulative affect of the different
poisons is important. Which is why if you stop smoking the risk of many
of the related disease drops over time as you body gets ride of various
of the chemicals.
This was important in an insurance court case a few years ago where
asbestos workers had claimed compensation from a company. A number of
workers who had worked in two or more factories (different companies)
dealing with asbestos in Leeds were refused compensation because it was
argued it wasn't known exactly which factory the exact particle which
had caused the disease was from.
Eventually the high court, or the HOL or somewhere saw sense and found
for them and they got their money
Whilst I agree with your general argument. I think the above should
Once is very very unlikely to kill you. As one poster pointed out safe
and dangerous are not absolute.
The phrase "It's safe" really means (IMHO) "It's no more dangerous than
everything else in life."
I think that at that period plaster was often grey, anyway.
Ed Sirett - Property maintainer and registered gas fitter.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:57:35 +0100, "John Ormiston"
Actually it is substantially correct. Although there is no minimum
safe exposure level for Asbestos there is an exposure/risk
relationship and one exposure is most unlikely to be harmful.
Moreover the material is probably white asbestos (Chrysotile) for
which the risk is considerably less than for blue or brown asbestos.
In 2001 1600 people died of mesothelioma in the UK, the worst case
estimate is that 160 of these might be related to Chrysotile exposure
(compared with about 100 "spontaneous" cases which cannot be related
to asbestos exposure). Most of the cases come from workers in
shipbuilding; railway carriage building and the installation and
maintenance of lagging or other insulation materials in buildings or
industrial plant. Male mesothelioma deaths are concentrated in the
regions around the ports and dockyards. The gap between exposure and
disease developing is usually long - about 20 - 40 years, so present
death rates reflect exposure conditions in the 70's.
It is possible, though very unlikely, that it might. The best thing
to do is leave the material undisturbed. If it must be moved, or if
it is likely to be damaged if left where it is you need to balance
the risk against the cost. For a small amount, removal with a few
sensible precautions such as those already mentioned represents a
extremely small hazard.
Unfortunately this is likely to be a very expensive option. The
government are so concerned by the risk that they make you pay all
the costs of removal yourself and if you ask the local authority to
test the stuff they may insist upon its removal by certified firms.
Asbestos removal is the waste industries answer to the goose that
lays golden eggs and a certified company would charge many hundreds,
if not a few thousand, pounds to remove your little bit of board.
I'm also not convinced it is pure asbestos sheet you have. It is
difficult to see why pure asbestos sheet, which is very fragile would
be used in a house at all, much less in the position you describe.
It is much more likely to be asbestos cement sheet, which contains
about 10% of chrysotile and for which DIY removal is perfectly safe.
are some examples of local authority guidance on DIY removal of
asbestos cement sheet.
This is a silly thread. No one in their right mind would take as fact
these days what doctors used to tell their patients in the 70's.
Doctors have a license to kill babies and they are not held to all
that much account for senior citizens.
They (as a class not as individuals) used to think they were gods when
it came to informing patients about their illnesses.
A proper autopsy would need to be carried out by a very knowledgeable
bloke indeed to find out that there was only one fibre present and
that no more were removed by any means, natural or otherwise before
death. And who is to say where and when a man came into contact with
anything in the past?
If the sheet doesn't need removing, leave it. But you are not going to
leave the 6 layers of wall paper are you? Find out what the council is
going to charge you if you bite the bullet. And remember you only
found one piece. There may be others.
You had better have a word with your neighbours too as they may find
themselves in the "it" with you. Do the groundwork first and be very
Asbestolux is a similar looking board that contains about 10 to 15%
asbestos. Mind you I think that might be on the banned list by now
too. A Google search on websites (specify: UK) will get you more
I hope things work out OK.
I am very dubious about the asbestos cleaning industry...........you could
end up with a room full of guys in while cover all suits
and be charged a fortune....on the other hand you could be introuble with
just one exposure if fine particles get into air and then into you!
my view would be to follow the previous advice seal it or wet it double bag
it and take it to a tip that will accept it .Buy a second hand hoover and
bin it after clearing up.
Or as a surveyer said to me once..........if you are not going to disturb it
....and dont need to.... leave it alone. make a good job of coving it up .
good luck, its a bit of a dilemma
If he's anything like me he'll still be pondering about it. I started my
bathroom refurb in 2001 and I'm still trying to decide on the flooring. My
excuse is if you're enjoying doing something, why not savour it and make it
last out as long as you can :)
There was an article on "You and Yours", Radio 4, last week about
how the asbestos clearing industry is a complete rip-off. There
was also an expert on asbestos health issues who pointed out that
90% of the asbestos products removed in these rip-off jobs have
never been known to cause a single case of any asbestos-related
disease, and just don't merit anything like the fuss people make
This was sparked off by a mother who rung up the HSE (or might
have been some other government body -- didn't catch that detail)
to ask what might be the effect on her son who had been kicking
a football against the wall of an asbestos sheet garage. They told
her he could become ill in 10 to 30 years, which understandably
had left her extremely worried. The advice was completely
inappropriate and irresponsible.
Regrettably people whose job is safety can sometimes lose all
perspective. I see this with electrical matters, where trivial things
are sometimes claimed to be dangerous by safety inspectors, despite the
fact that the death rate from them is zero. A slightly leaky immersion
heater is a classic example. When theyre in a position of complete
authority, it seems theres no-one to question their ever creeping
judgements and bring them back to reality when they stray.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.