just wondering

As I was driving home tonight, I drove past a house under construction. They were at the stage of having the basement poured, the floor joists strung, and the main floor plywood down. It does not rain around here that often, so I think there would not "normally" be a problem with the exposed plywood. What do they do in high precipitation area like Seattle and such? Do they keep it covered all the time till the walls are up, and the roof is over it? I realize a large crew can have this done in a few days, but what about small town 1 to 3 man crews where it takes weeks to get walls and a roof up? just curious what happens to the plywood? thx

Reply to
nefletch

Blue tarps.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Back in the days of real plywood and real 2x10s, we didn't worry a whole lot about it. As long as water didn't stand on the wood for days, there was seldom any big problems. Any ponding that did show up was an indication something was out of level. Otherwise, when the rain stopped, sweep the water off with a pushbroom and push on. Not certain what the SOP is in today's world with OSB decking, engineered joists, ad nauseum. Absent a sudden weather emergency, it should never be exposed more than a few days, even with a small crew. Any site where it takes weeks, is probably an owner-as-contractor, or owner built.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

It dries out if it doesn't puddle for to long of a time. I worked for a builder and at times if we had a house that filled up with rain I would take a large screw driver and poke holes in floors to drain the water into the basement. At times we did replace some areas if they started sagging. In areas where we used OSB I was surprised it would dry out pretty fast.

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

There is now an invention called treated lumber.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Huh? Who frames house with PT lumber? Is it legal?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

AFAIK, other than for sill plates and elevated/covered porch framing, it isn't used in residential construction. Not sure it is even rated for use in enclosed heated space. Assuming you are talking about the green stuff, of course.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

AZ Nomad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net:

Huh? I'm missing something. Please enlighten me on treated subflooring.

Reply to
Red Green

I guess I was confused. I thought it was used for framing.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

No, it is not legal.

Reply to
salty

AZ Nomad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net:

That never happens to me :-)

Reply to
Red Green

e:

re: "No, it is not legal"

D*mn. Now I gotta start all over.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When it rained on the place they were building across the street, they had to use a planer to shave off expansion of the OSB flooring at the edges of the boards.

Reply to
Bob F

OSB don't know. Many types of plywood of reasonable quality these days are made with waterproof glue. So as long as no puddles of water and/or piles of water soaked building material it all dries out.

Reply to
stan

I've had friends go to their "under comstruction" homes and shovel 2 feet of snow out of "what will be the living room."

As far as I know, none of the homes are worse for the experience.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

:

And why would any person in his right mind use it where it isn't needed. That stuff costs a lot more than standard framing lumber.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

te:

Actually in some locations PT is cheaper. Because they use a lower grade of wood than standard framing lumber.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

A lot of people are using Georgia-Pacific Plytanium product called Dryply. It can survive a month or so of bad weather. It is manufactured for greater stiffness as needed in subflooring. Our local Menards store carries it and this is my choice for subflooring projects, especially in bathroom and utility areas where disasters might occur. The price is not that much more than ordinary CDX. With ring shank nails or construction screws it does seem more rigid than conventional subflooring. Plytanium and Dryply fit together OK with tongue and groove edges, too.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

They make it. It is megabucks (and crappy like all PT wood). It is not used for interior residential subflooring. And AZ Nomad was confuzled. There you go. What was the question? :)

Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

Back in the day when OSB was a newer product, I always heard that it would handle three times being soaked without any problems. Snow should cause NO problems if you get it off before the sun hits it hard. I've seen it soaked so many times that the edges blow up over a quarter inch though. Around here the high volume builders could give a crap if it blew up to an inch and a half anyway. I try to avoid those kind of guys.

Lefty

Reply to
Lefty