Q: How do you remove old field tile ?

This sounds like an odd question, but how do you plug up a field tile? The reason is that my house sits on a property that was once a tiled field. The tile was broken at the point where my basement now is. (It originates at a point higher up a hill). All of the water from the area is trying to drain into my yard, or more or less into my basement. I found the tile by accident when I had a contractor dig up around my basement to reseal the cement brick -ie the basement was getting wet. For the most part the old brick isn't leaking, but some of the cement block that I had the contractor install last year had so much water presure that it pushed the water sealer through the brick, to the inside of the basement.

I'm going to add my own tile around the house, but I'd like to seal or dig up the old field tile. I tried plugging the field tile with hydrolic cement, but water presure blew out the section of plugged clay tile. If I was to dig it out, how far back should I go to keep the water away from my basement? The dirt around the basement is almost pure clay. I'm back filling with sand, after I have the proper tile installed. I'm using 4" tile with a "sock" around it.

Thanks,

Steve

Curious about this, won't that encourage water flow where you don't want it? HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst