Anyone recognise this boiler?

Go for digital 3 decades ago? Most. Digital workstations and PCM recorders were around by them - and like all such things welcomed with gusto. Audio types love their toys.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fair enough, it was a bad example. Not that plumbing types are any less fond of their toys, but kit we install in punters' houses and only get to play with if it goes wrong isn't our idea of fun toys.

In that respect the 'bathroom changing plumbers' Drivel derided were right: at the time when combis hadn't proved their reliability any installer making a living from their work would be justified in avoiding them in favour of proven technology, whether they understood them or not.

Nowadays combis are a hard to beat on price, performance and reliability so many engineers who know perfectly well how to build a 'proper' hot water system still install combis where they're appropriate to the size of house, size of household, and size of householder's budget. There are also 'bathroom changing plumbers' who don't know any better who install them regardless of whether they're appropriate.

Reply to
YAPH

I can see that.

My point was dribble's constant answer to any question is that a combi is the answer to everything. And has done for many a year. For a new install it might be the cheapest option. But he - like plenty others - recommend ripping out a storage system and fitting one regardless.

Again, my point exactly. I don't want some plumber second guessing what will work best for me. Very few will give you the options and pros and cons - they will simply recommend what is easiest for them to fit and give the biggest profit.

Which is why a group like this is very worthwhile. If you ignore dribble. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I read this tripe, and what tripe it was. If the mains supply is suitable then a combi should be the first choice. There are high quality, two bathroom, combis around, wall and floor mounted. Amateurs don't know this.

The worst setup is a cold tank in the loft and cylinder. Should be avoided at all costs.

This is hilarious. Only from a total plantpot. This lunatic didn't know the difference between high and low pressure taps. He bought high pressure taps for his sink (cut the tap tails short as well) then wondered why he was only getting a dribble out of the taps. He posted here asking why. Anyone with sense would go out and buy a proper set of low pressure taps and fit them. Do a Google around July August 2006. Hilarious!

He wrote.... "I had the same problem after installing a high pressure only 'mixer' tapin the kitchen" "I installed the pump under the sink. Works a treat."

He put a pump under the sink to get the pressure up on the mixer instead of changing the mixer taps. Hilarious...hilarious. The best yet. "A pump on one tap". I've never heard that one. Only from a uk.d-i-y Lunatic Association (affiliated) member. Yes, you read this sort of thing here. Good for a laugh indeed.

The problem is a novice might believe all this plantpot and take the advice. That is the serious and dangerous part.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I rest my case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I think most here would take Mr P's advice rather than yours any day. I certainly would.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Plenty more here with much more knowledge than me. But I try to give both sides as I see it - not the one size fits all so beloved of dribble. And even that changes with the wind...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't think! You are a plantpot!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off as you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

replying to Roger Mills, Sky wrote: Hi I just saw your message do you know where this was and does anybody have a boiler like this laying around?

Reply to
Sky

That is not a very flattering term for the Wife, now is it? :-) Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:q2h8bl$l8u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I had one in my 1988 build. A storage Combi. Gravity CH / Mains DHW. Only a

15mm gas feed. Room Vented
Reply to
DerbyBorn

the plate says 240V AC; hope it copes with 210- 230 volts that we seem to be getting these days.

I used to get 242 volts and hardly any variation up to about a decode ago, now it varies from 211 to 226 volts

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew explained on 26/01/2019 :

Some local issue to you then, ours has always been 240v +-2v

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

How the hell has this thread re-surfaced? My post to which is refers was back in 2009!

Reply to
Roger Mills

My understanding is that the supply voltage has not changed, only the nominal voltage. Someone will have the figures but I was told the narrow band round our 240V fits inside the wider band round 230V.

Locally something could have changed of course.

Reply to
Scott

Yes back in the 80s there was a home computer called the Lynx. It was a fairly good machine for the money but a lot of the power supplies went down due to being made for 210 5o 230 mains. . I know they did get very hot, but I find myself still sceptical that running them at around ten more volts rms would cause the problems observed. they said made in France but who knows what rubbish they were actually made from. Another friend of mine bought a small TV in Hong Kong around the same era which was supposed to be plug and play anywhere in the world, and the t v did, but the power supply welded itself to his coffee table it got so hot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The UK supply voltage used to be 240V ±6%, which is 226V -

254V

European voltage was 220V. Assuming the same ±6% tolerance was used, it could vary from 207V to 233V.

Europewide it is now 230V ±15% (I think) which is 200V - 264V.

A 10% tolerance would be better: 210V - 253V, so perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me.

Antway, as you say, no change the supply volage change is/was necessary either side of the Channel.

Reply to
Terry Casey

The last time I looked we were still running 240V and most of mainland Europe 220V, we just rewrote the tolerances to harmonise the different supplies.

So French nominal 230V is -10% +6% (207V - 244V) and English is 230V -6%

+10% (216V ? 253V)
Reply to
Rob Morley