Failing spark on oven

The ignition spark(s) on my Stoves gas cooker are getting weaker. Some hobs spark and others don't and it seems to vary. Is this fixable or do I have to get a new sparky-thingy?

Reply to
Jim S

depends if it's a mains powered sparker or a battery powered one,

if battery powered, then it's time to fit a new battery.

Reply to
gazz

I'd second that (but finding it can be a challenge :-)

Also: I've no idea about Stoves, but on my cooker the spark wires come up through ceramic posts. These can get covered with carbonised grease and short-circuit the spark. Try cleaning the posts with a scourer. (I'd suggest scouring powder, but you don't seem to be able to buy it any more.)

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

You need a packet of sparks from a hardware store. Just ask the youngest assistant to get them using the supplied skirting board ladder from the lower shelf. Open packet, distribute evenly around the gas burner and hey-presto, sorted!

;-)

There is always some bright spark on this group ;-)

Actually I'm having the same problem with my cooker. It has mains ignition that sparks when a gas tap is pushed in. It is now intermittent on one of the burners and on the oven - with the latter the Mrs calls upon my services to drop a burning match into the base of the oven and hold the gas tap in and wait a few seconds for the inevitable WHOOOOOOOOOOSH!

Reminds me of the old joke: A man is falling towards the Earth and notices another man hurtling up towards him from the ground. The falling man shouts "Do you know anything about parachutes?". The other man shouts back "No! Do you know anything about gas cookers?"

Reply to
David in Normandy

If you've got an angle grinder, you can make you own sparks. Just remember to keep them in the fridge, so they last longer.

Ahem. I also have a Stoves cooker - and my ignition thingy died some years ago. I keep meaning to replace it, but I've been using a hand-held igniter (the ones with a small amount of liquid inside and a button you press with a long "wand" so you can get to the back of the oven). I got it from the local pound-shop and it's lasted for years. Even tho' it's fuel ran out, the sparker is still sufficient to light the hobs.

Reply to
pete

Mains

Reply to
Jim S

[puts on Bob the Builder voice] "Yes you can....."

ol' Vim.

Reply to
Vortex4

The high tension wires to the spark electrodes often get oxidised and drop off.

If they fall close to the earthed sheet metal body of the cooker they may still spark to earth, but usually it's well away from the handy flame failure pilot jet.

Frequently the oven slowly fills up with gas until it reaches the sparks, ignition occurs and the oven lights, but after about 2 minutes.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I did a visual inspection of the igniters and the unit itself and could find no disconnected ones. Two hobs spark, one does sometimes and the forth never (unless I put the metal closer) One oven sparks and the other does not. The ignition unit is marked Kigass Electronics, but all their numbers on business finder websites are not recognised.

Reply to
Jim S

We had an ignighter in a hob die, same sort of symptoms, gradual weakening of the spark, just bought a new spark generator and it was as good as new again!

Somthing like this should do it.

Toby

Thanks Toby. Ordered

Reply to
Jim S

It arrived but I had failed to notice that mine has 7 points and this one only has 6. The only other supplier is out of stock. If Stoves themselves cannot come up with the part does anyone know whether simply not connecting one of the hobs would be ok?

Reply to
Jim S