Lawnboy model 5277 No Spark

Hi there I have an old Lawnboy that will not start. I have checked to see if I have spark and there is none. I replaced the plug and still no spark. I took off the flywheel to see if there are any points or condensers but there are none and according to my local dealer this is solid state. I tried replacing the ignition coil/module with a new one but still nothing. I gave the dealer the s/n# and they gave me an exploded diagram of all the parts and it doesn't show anything else that I can see that would cause a no spark. It says that it is Engine Group-F100 Models: 5277. Unless I got a defective coil what else could this be?

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Francine

I had the same problem. I replaced the solid state module and everything was fine. Maybe your dealer gave you a bad one.

Reply to
Joe

spark plug wire

Reply to
mark Ransley

Hey Greg, What do you mean by short the switch terminal? I am sort of familiar with stuff but am a bit foggy on what you mean here.

Thanks.

Reply to
Francine

On the CD there is a small spade terminal that connects to the kill switch wire. Connect it, with a jumper wire, right to the engine block and test for park. Then remove the wire, leave the terminal bare, and test again. If it has spark either way, it probably is the kill switch. One more thing, make sure the air gap between the CD and flywheel is correct. It needs to be .010", or about two thickness' of printer paper. Stick a feeler gauge, or paper, between the flywheel and CD, let the magnets on the flywheel pull the CD to it. and tighten the two mounting screws for the CD.

A good repair shop should be able to test the Cd for you, using a ignition tester. Good luck, Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I need more info on the engine. Some models have a low oil level switch that shuts unit off when oil level gets to low. They always malfunction. If it has one take it out of the kill switch circuit. Also I'm sure you tried a new plug right?

Reply to
Randd01

Please don't try to help if you just guessing. The OP is asking about a Lawn Boy, two cycle mower, no oil reservoir in the crankcase, no low oil level switch!!

As far as oil guard on Briggs and Stratton engines, I have never seen on fail, they might, but your claim that they always malfunction is extreme. Add oil and all is ok again! People do not realize that once the crankcase gets low enough to trip the oil guard, you need to fill the crankcase completely to reset it. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

" Some CD packs needed to be grounded to run, some open"

This is an "F" Series Engine. All "F" Series engine used the terminal to short out, kill the engine. The old "D-600" Series came out originally with an ignition module that required continuity from the spade terminal to ground to run, later they changed to shorting out, killing the engine.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

I will try to short out the switch as per the advice and will let you know how I make out.

Thnx

Reply to
Francine

I tuned in late. But if that's a killswitch or key switch, don't short it out. Open the cirucit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon