2004 18hp Briggs & Stratton no spark

My tractor had no spark and I changed the magneto, had a very strong spark and it worked and started fine. The next day it did not start and the spark was very faint. I changed the plug but still nothing. Could it be an excessive gap in the magneto versus the flywheel?

Any help would be appreciated

Bob

Reply to
Rob

Yes, it can be excess gap. Usually what I've done on small mowers is to tear open a spark plug box. PUt that between the flywheel magnets, and the coil. The cardboard has been about the right distance for my uses.

The wire that stops the engine may also have worn a hole in the insulation. So, it may be the kill wire which is... uh.... killing it. Know what I mean, jelly bean? But usually a kill wire problem gives no spark at all.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon