Briggs&Stratton 16 HP

I have 16hp single cylinder horizontal B&G engine in my lawn tractor. (Manufactured in 1976). An electronic ignition had been installed before I purchased the tractor. The tractor ran well for 5 years. I replaced the electronic iginition , a broken wire, and now the engine will not fire. There is plenty of spark, the fuel supply is good and the compression is good. Any suggestions? Could this be related to timing?

Thanks Clyde

Reply to
wilbur01

By plenty of spark do you mean at the plug or off the plug wire. If the later, try the former to rule out a bad plug. Secondly, rule out bad gas as well as the engine getting too much or too little. If you have no signs of flooding - like gas running out of the carb - try resetting the low idle and fast run screws to the basic position. It's the same for both at 1.5 turns counter-clockwise when starting with the screws turned clockwise as far as they will go (be gentle - *don't* crank these too tight or will wreck the needle or the seat). I'm sure you'll get better posts than this from better heads. Best of luck. Chuck

Reply to
C & E

Is the plug wet after trying to start it, if so its to much fuel or weak spark, squirt some fuel in the carb and see what happens, maybe the choke is off.

Reply to
ransley

Yes it could be.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Spark that you see in a test does not mean it fires under the load of fuel, a simple bad wire could do it, ,my car idled but misfired on acceleration it was just a bad wire.Bad Ignition modules can do the same, spark in a test, but not under load

Reply to
ransley

Under load of what, starting? If the OP has spark and the air/fuel mix is correct he should get some kind indication that it is firing even if sporadically. Kind of hard to diagnose these things over the internet without having hands on it though. :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

I would remove the air cleaner, give it a shot of ether( be very careful about the amount, this can be dangerous) or carb cleaner or a cap ful of new gasoline, attempt to start.

If it does not start and run briefly on ether, you have an electrical problem.

If it starts and runs briefly, you have a fuel delivery problem.

Did you remove the flywheel to replace this ignition thing? There is an alignment key on the shaft that is the timing on small engines, if it has been hurt, it will not start. The magneto must be the proper distance away from the magnets, but you do say you have spark.

Remove the spark plug, install sp wire, touch the bottom of the sp to engine, pull the cord. Good strong bright blue spark on the working end of the plug?

Reply to
DanG

Are you sitting on the tractor seat when trying to start the engine?

They do/might have a safety switch under the seat.

Cutting blade tight and secure?

-- Oren

Oren