Go-Kart engine problems (Briggs and Stratton)

My neighbor gave me his old go-kart and I fixed it up. The engine is giving me problems, though. It is a typical 5HP Briggs engine. It had been rained on with no air filter so I tore it down and cleaned it out and put it back together with new gaskets. I think they might have run it bone dry of oil because there was no oil in the crankcase but the cylinder and rings looked ok to me. So did the valves. It turns over just fine. The carb was very cruddy and I soaked it in carb dip and put it back together with new gaskets and diaphram.

After I got it all back together I started it up and it ran decently for a few hours. But then it started to run worse and worse. I bought a new carb for it and installed it tonight but it obviously wasn't the problem. Even with the new carb and with fresh gas it will only run with the choke all the way on. The new carb doesn't have an idle adjustment screw so it seems like it can't be a fuel problem. What else could it be? The only thing left is spark and compression. It obviously has both of those because it runs and had plenty of power when it was running OK which indicates compression is probably OK. I made sure the gas cap isn't blocked.

Any ideas what I should check next? Or what I should recheck?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary H

Hi, Timing?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I thought about timing but it has a magnet and coil so is it even possible for the timing to be off? I'll have to investigate.

Reply to
Gary H

PS The gas tank looks pretty rusty inside but it doesn't make the gas turn rusty looking.

Reply to
Gary H

If it runs with the choke on, it must be not getting enough fuel. Have you checked for intake leaks, loose carb, etc. Crud in the tank could have plugged a carb jet.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Have you checked the fual line?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

timing is set by the key in the flywheel/crankshaft.If the flywheel gets loose it can partially shear this key throwing off the timing. Check your compression. did you check the valve clearance when you had it down...proper valve seating has more to do with compression than rings on these engines.

Reply to
digitalmaster

How do I check compression on a small engine? I have a compression gauge for cars. Will it work? I think the timing is fine.

Reply to
Gary H

It doesn't have a fuel line. The carb sits on top of the tank. Its a brand new carb so it doesn't seem like it would be clogged. Come to think of it, it ran better with the old carb I took off.

Reply to
Gary H

If it fits in the spark plug hole...

Reply to
HeyBub

Problem solved. I didn't have the carb to engine gasket on right and it was leaking. It runs like a top now.

Reply to
Gary H