Replacing Briggs & Stratton 402707 16 hp on Simplicity 6216 Tractor

My garden tractor is a Simplicity 6216. The engine, a circa 1983, verticle, 16 hp Briggs 404707 type 0145 has a bound up crank.

They don't make a replacement engine. I found a 18.5 hp Briggs 42A707 type 2238. Its a Vanguard(meaning commercial grade). It appears to be identicle to the 402707 under the engine covers. The mounting hole are a little off. Not knowing what I'm doing, I would guess that my biggest worry would be matching the crank sizes where it drives the belts. The pulleys need to be properly aligned.

Any ideas if this is a doable project?

Reply to
sofasurfer

Not if you don't know what you're doing.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I would think that the holes should have lined up. It's my observation that the tractor manufacturers put extra holes in the frames for the various motors they use. However, I think the most important is that the crank is the same length and diameter as the old engine, otherwise the pulley won't fit or line up with the belt path. I just put together a mower for my son in law by installing an old one cylinder briggs 12 hp where there had been a

20.5 hp twin briggs. Everything fit fine. Had to modify the wiring slightly and put a different muffler on. But it works just fine for mowing. Wouldn't want to try to push a snow plow with it but he only needed a grass cutter.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G