suggestions on new mower

I realize a bit off topic, but am posting here rather than on a lawn & garden NG because I feel the answers here regarding mowers are far more valuable.

I have a Craftsman 42" - 18 HP mower that is 11 years old. I want to replace it and will not consider another Sears product because of the parts situation. Replaced the steering mechanism last year, part cost $75, shipping was $62; not for me.

Anyway, am considering a Cub Cadet; 50" (three blades), 22 HP Kawasaki engine. $3,000. Also thinking about a Hustler (No details on specs yet) and I heard an ad about a Scag for home use, which I have not looked into, but am sure it is going to be much costlier than the Cub. Also the Hustler is also much more expensive.

I take care of my equipment oil / filter changes, lubed, blades sharpened, keep in garage out of weather. But I am wondering about parts availability for the three types.

Anyone have any experience and/or suggestions. BTW, I am thinking that I can nurse the old Craftsman through this year and wait until winter when I should be able get a better deal.

I have a little over an acre to mow; Are these mowers an overkill?

Thanks for your input, Bob

Reply to
Bob

My personal opinion. You can get a mediocre machine and watch it fall apart little by little after the first couple of years, or get a really good machine that will last for 20 years and run like a top. I have a 62' Cub Cadet that was very expensive back then and still functions perfectly well. I've taken it out of service because it has no safety features, and I have kids. I have a Kubota TG1860 diesel with power steering now. It's not cheap, but it's built to last, and it's like mowing with a Cadillac

Reply to
RBM

Good choice.

Reply to
Meat Plow

We bought a Husqvarna 2248 nearly four years ago, it has only needed normal maintenance since then. Never a breakdown. The one thing I think I would say gives it the edge over others is the transmission... VERY easy to use. Here is today's equivalent

has the Kawasaki engine though

As far as RBM's reply.. I am green with envy. I could only dream of owning a Kubota mower!

We have an OLD Kubota tractor, and though it has been run hard and put up wet it still works like a champ considering the abuse it has taken in it's lifetime.

Another thing you may consider is a zero turn mower. We mow about 6 acres. If I had known then what I know now, I would have bought one of those instead. Less abuse on your back and shoulders and you can get the job done much more quickly.

Kate O|||||||O

[...]

Kate

Sears parts do indeed seem to be handled badly. My house came with a Kenmore dishwasher, a Kenmore Microwave, and a Craftsman weed trimmer, and none of them had manuals.

The dishwasher manual is $10. I ordered that. It arrived a couple weeks later.

The microwave manual is $25. Screw that. I don't use any fancy microwave features, so can get by without a manual.

The weed trimmer manual is $5. I can't make out the last digit of the model number, though, and there are two possible matches, so I ordered both of their manuals. So $10. They have not arrived.

Checking the status of my orders online, they say the weed trimmer manuals have shipped. However, if I go and check the status of my dishwasher manual, it says that it has NOT shipped, because that manual is backordered!

Looks like either they are totally messed up and have no idea what they are doing--or they are merely very messed up and the order statuses are being reported for the wrong orders. Neither is very confidence building.

Reply to
Tim Smith

Here ya go...

DerbyDad03

OK, this subject comes up often. I will tell you my opinion anyway. I own five mowers each is a different brand. More important than brand is the dealer.

I highly suggest you go to your local independent dealer for your purchase. My local rental store is also a dealer for several different brands. They work on mowers every day and know them from top to bottom. Buy a mower from your local repair shop and you will be sure to get a machine you can depend on and parts will be available.

They may not have the machine you want on the floor but they can get it fast. My guys are dealers for Toro, Cub Cadet, Simplicity, Troy- bilt, Honda and probably others. I'm a fan of the Toro but they are spendy.

Reply to
Lawrence

Have you looked at the homeowner zero turn mowers? I think you'd be a lot happier spending less than half the time mowing. Check into Exmark and Ferris.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I just got a Craftsman 42" 18 HP Lawn Tractor. Price was right and it is replacing another Craftsman 36" 14HP that is at least, if not more than, 25 years old. It was running good and my fault that triggered the decision to replace it--hit a tree root that cracked one of the blade mandrels. You're right, it was costly ($85) to replace and I decided to go for a new machine. But the prime reason for sticking with Craftsman is the fact that the if I wanted to pay the price, at least the part is available. Don't know about other brands but at least I know that you can count on Craftsman for part availability. Besides, I believe that it is a good product. The tractor has performed flawlessly over the years. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Good point.

This is a guy that needs a good dealer. He should have a close relationship with this dealer.

Reply to
Homer

Thanks for all the suggestions; all well worth considering. Appreciate it, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Good point.

This is a guy that needs a good dealer. He should have a close relationship with this dealer.

*** I agree too.. One of the things that makes my Husky so great, if I need anything I can just call him. He remembers who I am and when i needed the blades sharpened he came and picked it up and dr4opped it back off at no charge.

Saved me from having to back the truck up to the bank and drive it in.

Kate O|||||||O

Reply to
Kate

"Bob" wrote Thanks for all the suggestions; all well worth considering. Appreciate it, Bob

DO let us know which one you decide on!

Kate O|||||||O

Reply to
Kate