Want comments from Scag mower owners and others

I have been evaluating mowers for the last three weeks and have found a lot of info' about various brands, some good but a lot not so good.

I thought I was interested in a Cub Cadet zero turn with a steering wheel instead of two handle bars. After reading and looking at them, this is out for me - deck quite flimsy, poorly built. I think, but may be wrong, that it is made by MTD, which is generally a cheaply built machine, but not too bad for the price.

So far, the Scag Freedom Z has caught my attention. Very pricy at $5300, but certainly well built, convenient controls and something that should last me for the rest of my life (I'm 73).

I'd like to hear from those who have a Scag and particularly the Freedom Z model. I'd appreciate your comments - good or bad, as well as other comments.

Thanks in advance, Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

have a scag turf tiger and some scag walk behinds. good machines.i like the kawasaki air cooled engines. havent seen the one your looking at , but seems cheeper in price than the commercial zero turns.maybe a home owner grade? lucas

ds549

The one I looked at at a 19 HP kawasaki. This one was a 48 inch cut but it is also available in a 52 inch.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

I was wondering if anyone knows the skinny on the safety switches on a scags 48 w 17 kawasaki manual start , its was just in trailor workinf good when i left it. when i started it it would run ok whenin reverse. Soon as I put it in forward it shutts down, I unhooked the harnes going to the safety switch on the trans , and she goes ahead fine, as usall . Soon as I engage the blades , she shuts down, Those safety switches are reverse switches , they have continuitity untill depressed , all seem ok. The safety is shutting down the blades and forward motion. Does anyone know about this . ? I replaced one switch needlessly. I thought of unhooking the ground as its going to ground instantly shutting her off. The only thing that happened is the clutch fell off a while ago . I put it back on all was ok . The grounds have been skined or hot , but look ok. the mags have a wire that had a small cut or hot spot as it wa run close to the head . I changed the routing of the wire to a cooler place of the head. I am sure I havent found the problem. The other wire coming from under the fly whell is all taped up like it was redone- I am kind of lost . ?/ any one got any ideas?

Reply to
dgconran

Take it to someone who knows the safety circuits and save yourself a headache. Maybe the dudes you bought it from?

Reply to
Meat Plow